Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Laos, Vietnam or Myanmar?

I'm experienced in international travel; specifically southern South East asia, after having lived in Thailand for a time when I was a child, and have since travelled back a few times.

I am helping my parents look for a place to live in Thailand in the fall, and am looking to do a quick two week trip to either Laos, Vietnam or Myanmar; three countries I have never been to before.

Basically, my assumptions are few. I do not know, personally, many people that have been to any of these countries. I've been to Cambodia, if that works as a frame of reference. It was one of the most wild trips of my life (crossing the border overland, using public transport and not a tourbus was insanely incredible)

My view of Laos is "lazy river floating and relaxed bike riding", Vietnam is "shopping and info on the war" and Myanmar... well this is the dark one. I was just reading that sometimes it is seen as support of their 'government' if you got there as a tourist, but I've long been interested in going. How dangerous is it? The only option to get into the country is to fly in, correct?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Laos, Vietnam or Myanmar?

Do not go to Burma. It is not politically stable and is a not a particularly nice spot on the globe, AFAIK.

Vietnam has to be the correct answer here, although I know very little about Laos.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:54 PM

It will always be Burma to me.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will always be Burma to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHITE POET WARLORD!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM

the horror. the horror.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:03 PM

"Mr. Peterman, you speak Burmese?"
"No Elaine... that was jibberish. Did you have any trouble finding the place?"
Old 06-27-2006, 01:51 PM

I've only been to Laos and enjoyed it immensely. Friendly people, beautiful natural scenery, and extrodinarily cheap. Luang Prabang and Vang Viang are beautiful but rustic. My wife and I only had a 2 week visa and we didn't want to leave. We worked on an organic mulberry farm in Vang Vieng for a week and would spend the afternoons exploring the caves, floating down the river, or cycling around.

The only drawback I see are the lack of roads. There's only one major road (I think it's #7) that travels the length of the country. The other areas, especially east of 7, are accessible by rough, dirt road. You can travel some places by boat - like you can access Luang Prabang via the Mekong.

So regarding your lazy bicycling idea of Laos, outside of Vientiene or Luang Prabang, it's not happening.

When I was over there, I heard the same things about Myanmar - tourists help prop up the oppressive regime because they lord over all businesses. It's difficult to get into the country as well.

We were planning on going to Vietnam but opted not to because we heard reports that the locals are not as friendly to tourists as their neighbors in Laos and Vietnam. We also didn't have enough time so we axed it for later.

Good luck and happy travelling!