FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Friend plays roulette- calls me stupid

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Other Gambling Games

is the forum your looking for

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more of a probability/strategy forum and I was looking more for advice on how to beat some sense into my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are threads in there weekly about martingale. Find a good one, link him to it. If he's so smart he'll understand it. If he still wants to play, oh well, you tried, a fool and his money etc.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM

How to School Your Friend:

1 - Get a big bankroll
2 - Play roulette and be the house
3 - Take all his money
4 - Laugh in his face
Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1 - Get a big bankroll
3 - Take all his money
4 - Laugh in his face

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great idea but i'd feel so awful about keeping it. it'd be like if i was an all-star basketball player and my friend was in a wheelchair, and he kept insisting that we play $50 a game, over and over again.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1 - Get a big bankroll
3 - Take all his money
4 - Laugh in his face

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great idea but i'd feel so awful about keeping it. it'd be like if i was an all-star basketball player and my friend was in a wheelchair, and he kept insisting that we play $50 a game, over and over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to add that you told your wheelchair friend that he is very stupid to be challenging me over and over again.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is quite a bit smarter than I am

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be absolutely retarded.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:25 AM

Semi-serious question about Martingale.

Tell me if this is the basic gist: If you double your bet after losing then you are guaranteed to finish ahead 1 unit when you win. (Obviously, table max bet and variance cripple this as a viable strategy). But that's it, one unit?

Please explain the good part to me like I'm a 4 year old, because I just can't see how anyone could be dumb enough to think this is a good idea.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tell me if this is the basic gist: If you double your bet after losing then you are guaranteed to finish ahead 1 unit when you win. (Obviously, table max bet and variance cripple this as a viable strategy). But that's it, one unit?

Please explain the good part to me like I'm a 4 year old, because I just can't see how anyone could be dumb enough to think this is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people believe that highly unlikely events (such as losing 10x in a row or however many times it takes to hit the table limit or go busto) can be ignored.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people believe that highly unlikely events (such as losing 10x in a row or however many times it takes to hit the table limit or go busto) can be ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I get that part. The bad side is clear to me. Is the idea that the system (with unlimited bankroll and no table max) prevents you from losing? I can see that. But the upside is still only one unit?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:36 AM

Tell him the only way to beat roulette is to buy-in for $20, and play with $.50 wheel chips. Bet $.50 each spin, and then order copious amounts of alcohol. You will come out ahead in the long run with the free drinks. Proven winning system.

His system, on the other hand, sounds like a complete disaster. Do a search on martingale, give him the links, and if he still wants to play, so be it.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I get that part. The bad side is clear to me. Is the idea that the system (with unlimited bankroll and no table max) prevents you from losing? I can see that. But the upside is still only one unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the upside is still one unit. But in the mind of a martingaler, its a "guaranteed" one unit.

And as someone who used to martingale when bonus-whoring, I can testify first hand that they system will occasionally fail spectacularly.