Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Tipping when you get a waitress you know

You leave a $20 and be done with it. Any lower, and you look like a cheap ass waiting for a buck in front of a server you know and your girlfriend.
Anymore, and your girlfriend will think you like the server more than her.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT,

I'd levae the $20 too, but I dont think it's unreasonable for people to leave $2 or $3 on a bill that's $15 including tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even discounting the tax, $2 on a 13.95 bill is barely 14%. That's really weak, especially considering it's someone that you know.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, every time I read a tipping thread and hear how service people feel they are entitled to a certain wage from customers, it makes me rethink my stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should read a little more closely next time. I never said that we were entitled a certain wage. Leave what you want to leave, I'm just making suggestions. I've stated in other posts that I think severs are grossly overpaid. But for others to say it's a no skill job are wrong.

BTW, 15% of 45 isn't 5 either. I don't understand why you're saying you'd leave 5 dollars on a 45 dollar bill. I find it highly unlikely that the amount of work will be the same in those two situations. But tip what you want. Who the hell am I to tell you what to do.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You leave a $20 and be done with it. Any lower, and you look like a cheap ass waiting for a buck in front of a server you know and your girlfriend.
Anymore, and your girlfriend will think you like the server more than her.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, every time I read a tipping thread and hear how service people feel they are entitled to a certain wage from customers, it makes me rethink my stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should read a little more closely next time. I never said that we were entitled a certain wage. Leave what you want to leave, I'm just making suggestions. I've stated in other posts that I think severs are grossly overpaid. But for others to say it's a no skill job are wrong.

BTW, 15% of 45 isn't 5 either. I don't understand why you're saying you'd leave 5 dollars on a 45 dollar bill. I find it highly unlikely that the amount of work will be the same in those two situations. But tip what you want. Who the hell am I to tell you what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. Okay, I will try one more time. You said a salad and tea for $12 deserves a $5 tip, fine, but if that salad and tea costs $45 at Spago, I should tip 20% (i.e., $9). Merely stating here that a server bringing you a salad, tea and perhaps one refill at both places is doing roughly the same amount of work. Yet, for $12 you should leave over a 40% tip ($5), but at the expensive place 20% is fine, yet the work is roughly the same. Of course for this kind of analysis I'm just being a downie as someone called me, but no one has explained why people should tip a higher percentage for the same work involved just because the bill is small.

I don't know if you're intentionally twisting my comments on purpose, but I never said I'd leave $5 on a $45 bill- I asked why leave $5 on a $12 bill by default?

If you read my post, I gave enough insight into my tipping policy, if that sounds cheap to you, fine. For what it's worth, I think it takes a certain skill set to be a good server, so I don't think it's a no-skill job.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. Okay, I will try one more time. You said a salad and tea for $12 deserves a $5 tip, fine, but if that salad and tea costs $45 at Spago, I should tip 20% (i.e., $9). Merely stating here that a server bringing you a salad, tea and perhaps one refill at both places is doing roughly the same amount of work. Yet, for $12 you should leave over a 40% tip ($5), but at the expensive place 20% is fine, yet the work is roughly the same. Of course for this kind of analysis I'm just being a downie as someone called me, but no one has explained why people should tip a higher percentage for the same work involved just because the bill is small.

I don't know if you're intentionally twisting my comments on purpose, but I never said I'd leave $5 on a $45 bill- I asked why leave $5 on a $12 bill by default?

If you read my post, I gave enough insight into my tipping policy, if that sounds cheap to you, fine. For what it's worth, I think it takes a certain skill set to be a good server, so I don't think it's a no-skill job.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously understand why this is you just disagree with it. Servers at fine dining restaurants (read: expensive) are supposed to be providing superior service (in one way or another) and thus making more tips and more $\hour.

Having waited tables at [censored] to decent restaurants, I agree that we are overpaid. I'm currently working at one over the summer and making ~15/hour which is double what most [censored] college summer jobs pay. However, I think people need to also respect that fact that dealing with moronic people (I'd estimate about 15%), and the fact that the work is very physically demanding, should have it pay higher than jerking off in Wal-Mart all day.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're getting too hung up on percentage. Tipping a percentage of the bill is just a guideline. You're reasoning would be more sound if you said "Why should I tip a higher amount just because the bill is higher for the same amount of work." I'm not going to restate why you should do this. I believe you're a good tipper and you're just getting too worked up over percentage. When the bill is that low I don't think tipping a percentage is always correct. For example, the Olive Garden has unlimited soup and salad ( i hate using the Olive Garden as an example because I usually get horrible service there) for something like 5 or 6 bucks during lunch. A customer could run the servers ass on salad/soup/drink refills and I believe that tipping 15% of a bill that's less than 10 bucks isn't cool. But again, you seem like a good tipper, and this is just one person's opinion. If I upset you I didn't mean to, nor did I mean to twist your words.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bill was $15.40. What's your tip?

[/ QUOTE ]
$3.10 (i.e. $18 and two quarters) is a decent minimum. If you put down $19 you'd be fine and better than leaving change especially since you know her. Leave a $20 and you're a sport. Any more than that would make me wonder....i.e. you're wealthy, you're a spendthrift, you're expecting something in return, you don't mind explaining to your GF what you're doing etc.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ran into this situation over the weekend... Thing is the server got us 3 free glasses of wine though. Tipped out $40 on $160 tab. Was this a proper tip?

[/ QUOTE ]
15% would be $24 if the $160 was pretax or a dollar or two less if the $160 included sales tax. $40 is a nice tip that would be much appreciated I think. What does a glass of wine cost there?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 PM

Would you like to bang her? Give her extra ($25?). Otherwise, treat her like any other server ($20).