Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: JJ Preflop UTG big preflop pot - Live 2/5

[ QUOTE ]
your stack is halfway in. you have to call now. you're almost getting the right price against AA anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily think this is the correct way to go about it because, IMO, there is about 0% chance i've got the best hand in this situation (after the fifth pre-flop raise). I've done my best to represent AA or KK and two other players just don't care. If I'm not getting the right price, i have to fold, right?

I think that the amount I chose to re-re-raise was probably incorrect since I left myself with a ridiculous decision when it came back to me.

I was just curious as to what decisions everyone else would make.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:30 PM

1) Sit with a full buy-in.

2) $15 raise is weak in a live game. Make a real raise to somewhere between $25 and $40. The hand will play a lot easier this way.

3) As played V1, push to the donk raise. As played V2, call and hope you hit your set.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:35 PM

After BB minraises, I'd just call and play fit or fold on the flop. KK/QQ/AK usually raises bigger to discourage action; AA raises to build the pot.

But once half your stack is in there and the AI fest occurs, you have to wonder if it's 2 AK's looking to discourage action. Even if it's 2 big pocket pairs, you're 5:1 for the call, so put your other leg in and hope for the best. Maybe you'll win with a jack high flush.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) $15 raise is weak in a live game. Make a real raise to somewhere between $25 and $40. The hand will play a lot easier this way.

3) As played V1, push to the donk raise. As played V2, call and hope you hit your set.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is this is in LA and a full buyin is either 200 or 300, so that takes care of #1.

#2 is correct, but I think a $20 raise is standard here even live. I love it when someone raises to something like $40 preflop as standard, because they are easy to stack when you wake up with a good hand, and if they raise at all light its easy to re-raise them and steal $40. If its a really really loose table $25 makes some sense.

I would guess calling and pushing are about equal in EV, so it doesn't matter what you do, except for what you did do, which is the worst of all worlds. I would just say gamble and call with that much in the pot.. if button had AA you should absolutely love having him at your table.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Full buy-in for this game was $300.
2. Standard raise in this game is generally $15-$20. People raising to $40 usually have one of two hands: JJ or QQ. (Again, this is something specific to this game)
3. I now agree with this line. i don't care for just calling the min-raise as there is a lot of money in the pot and i likely have the best hand, and i've pretty much figured out that my other choice of a raise just leaves me with options that i don't like.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is this is in LA and a full buyin is either 200 or 300, so that takes care of #1.

#2 is correct, but I think a $20 raise is standard here even live. I love it when someone raises to something like $40 preflop as standard, because they are easy to stack when you wake up with a good hand, and if they raise at all light its easy to re-raise them and steal $40. If its a really really loose table $25 makes some sense.

I would guess calling and pushing are about equal in EV, so it doesn't matter what you do, except for what you did do, which is the worst of all worlds. I would just say gamble and call with that much in the pot.. if button had AA you should absolutely love having him at your table.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post, i couldn't agree with you more (now).