Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Re: After seeing stox video, $5/$10, A8o folded in BB

I would be fairly confident that it was a misclick. Did he say anything in the video to indicate otherwise?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 AM

My typical play (against an aggressive blind stealer at least) is to try and get this heads up (3bet). If successful I ck/call to SD UI and ckraise when I improve (any piece) with the occassional turn bluff ckraise/fold to 3bet. Is this bad?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My typical play (against an aggressive blind stealer at least) is to try and get this heads up (3bet). If successful I ck/call to SD UI and ckraise when I improve (any piece) with the occassional turn bluff ckraise/fold to 3bet. Is this bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing out on folding hands that have you dominated like AT by just leading the flop. You'll also fold small pockets on scarier boards.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 AM

My default here is to 3-bet and I'm happy about it.

-Caddy
Old 06-26-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By folding, you will get an entry of -(0.5) BB for that hand in poker tracker. If you called preflop and open folded every flop then you'd get -(1.0) BB for that hand in PT. He's asking if you call this hand preflop and play poker, will you make an improvement upon -(0.5) BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes thats it. Not just with A8, but possibly all the weak Axo. Sure you'll be dominated in some hands, but you'll also get paid off by KK-TT strong hands, as well as typical iso raising hands QJ, KT, KJ if they hit 2nd pair and cant lay it down, while you have paired your ace.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:39 AM

IMO, this is a standard fold. You don't figure to be better than a flip vs. both hands out of position. In many cases you will be dominated by the button. The flop is almost guaranteed to be multiway so you don't have the ability to just get to showdown with your Ahigh if the flop is ragged and doesn't contain an eight. I think in general, the button needs a slightly stronger hand than normal to raise there, in addition to your positional disadvantage against multiple players. This is a drop.

Why would you think you would dramatically improve your game by doing something that Stoxtrader doesn't in his video?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 AM

He's getting something like 2.75-1 on a call. If he doesn't realize he's -EV to post UTG, he'll take those odds any day of the week.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:42 AM

More importantly, he DIDN'T have PT stats. I think that a three-bet would be a lot easier to make here if you had reads on the other players. Read-free, it's a fold.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's getting something like 2.75-1 on a call. If he doesn't realize he's -EV to post UTG, he'll take those odds any day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're actually getting more because he's gonna bet no matter what!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, this is a standard fold. You don't figure to be better than a flip vs. both hands out of position. In many cases you will be dominated by the button. The flop is almost guaranteed to be multiway so you don't have the ability to just get to showdown with your Ahigh if the flop is ragged and doesn't contain an eight. I think in general, the button needs a slightly stronger hand than normal to raise there, in addition to your positional disadvantage against multiple players. This is a drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

im raising light with a poster in the hand and in position. i dont think you need a stronger hand than normal.
that said, i three-bet A8o here to get it HU.