Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: American public education - myths exploded

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or, because it's in the countries best interest to have an educated society?

Or, so we can maintain a standard of living which we are accustomed to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are great goals to have. Just because one may perceive those to be the goals of our public school system doesn't mean that it actually accomplishes those goals or that it is the best option to accomplishes them.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

/agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

but that doesnt mean it isnt encumbent on everyone to contribute toward the attempt at education, whether its their kids or not

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is that written? What rule is there that requires me to pay for other people's kids' education, especially when the evidence is that the 'attempt' isn't working?

Why do I have to pay for other kids to go to school?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:14 AM

Another point here is about the teachers that you get in private schools. Many are excellent and choose to be there because they take pride in the school they are a part of. There are many great public school teachers as well,but not as high a percentage as in private schools.

And no discussion of American public schools is complete without mention of the absolute disaster that liberals have unleashed on our public education system. Instead of reading writing and rythmatic, they are more interested in teaching 10 year olds how to be good little liberals. I'm not a fan of religious indoctrination either, but intilling good basic morals in kids is far more valuable than the liberal crap in public schools. Sorry for the rant, but my expereince with "education" departments on college campuses has brought me to this conclusion. We used to have math to describe this:

Limit (GPA--->0) Engineering Major = Business Major
Limit(GPA--->0) Business Major = Education Major

This phenomenon and the congregation of liberals in the education departments is the main problem. I'm in favor of vouchers.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or, because it's in the countries best interest to have an educated society?

Or, so we can maintain a standard of living which we are accustomed to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are great goals to have. Just because one may perceive those to be the goals of our public school system doesn't mean that it actually accomplishes those goals or that it is the best option to accomplishes them.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

/agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

but that doesnt mean it isnt encumbent on everyone to contribute toward the attempt at education, whether its their kids or not

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is that written? What rule is there that requires me to pay for other people's kids' education, especially when the evidence is that the 'attempt' isn't working?

Why do I have to pay for other kids to go to school?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty good scam really. Especially when a certain % of the kids will fail miserably, then go on to live off the dole for their entire adult life, so you get to pay for them then too.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another point here is about the teachers that you get in private schools. Many are excellent and choose to be there because they take pride in the school they are a part of. There are many great public school teachers as well,but not as high a percentage as in private schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue the opposite. . My wife worked in both public and private schools and the quality of teachers in publics was clearly higher. I attributed that to the higher pay and benefits in public schools. Many of the private school teachers were either in their first jobs and couldnt find work in public schools, or were retired on full pensions from publics and welcomed a less rigorous environment with a lighter class load and a curriculum that wasnt changing from year to year.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 AM

As a public school teacher I know for a fact that private schools stretch the dollar further than public schools. Reason is they don't waste money like a public school system. Any public school system is big government with too much bureaucracy. It is a common fact in capitalistic societies that private industry will perform any service more efficiently than their government run counterpart. This occurs because of comeptition.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:07 AM

Great limit formulas. I teach high school physics and never had an education course in my life. I need to take them now to get my licence. Education courses are all BS. I did more work in one college physics homework assignment than I do in one whole education course.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a public school teacher I know for a fact that private schools stretch the dollar further than public schools. Reason is they don't waste money like a public school system. Any public school system is big government with too much bureaucracy. It is a common fact in capitalistic societies that private industry will perform any service more efficiently than their government run counterpart. This occurs because of comeptition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt that you're a public school teacher, unless you're teaching biology of the fetus.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:46 AM

I teach high school Physics outside Washington D.C. in Northern Virginia. You sound like a common lib. Can't discuss the topic so you resort to a personal attack.

I'm also an ex USAF officer and NASA empoloyee, so be assured my students actually learn something valuable.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great limit formulas. I teach high school physics and never had an education course in my life. I need to take them now to get my licence. Education courses are all BS. I did more work in one college physics homework assignment than I do in one whole education course.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the system is designed poorly? Heavans to Betsy.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm also an ex USAF officer and NASA empoloyee, so be assured my students actually learn something valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see.

Air Force sex scandal

human error caused loss of mars orbiter