Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 02:50 AM

Default Student Line of Credit

I'm thinking of applying for one soon and I would really appreciate any help you can give me since I am only 19 and obviously don't have a lot of experience with financial matters. The bank that I currently have my accounts and credit card with offer up to $8000 a year (Canadian), and say that the interest is based on their prime rate, which is currently 6%, is this good? Others banks offer $5000-$10,000 a year and say that their rate is prime + 1%, I'm assuming this is the same for my current bank because their website does not clarify, but I plan on calling them tomorrow to find out.

I have a few specific quesions: Does it matter if I actually go to the bank and speak to someone or can I just apply online? Is there any way that the interest rate is negotiable if I have established some credit? (My credit up until this point has just been a credit card which I have had for over a year and have a $1000 limit, and I've been pre-approved for another $1000 and have $500 over-draft protection on my chequeing account). How likely am I to get any sort of loan without my parents co-signing?

Other than those specific questions I'm looking for any and all advice that anyone is willing to give me. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Student Line of Credit

My guess is they would prefer you apply online. I would advise you to use a debit card. How are you going to pay what you borrow back? I think you are askng for trouble, credit cards are for people with stable incomes or assets.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Student Line of Credit

My credit card is not a problem. I've had it for over a year and I've never been late for a payment. I mostly got it to fund poker when I first started it out and to avoid the fees on using my debit card.