Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 10:06 AM

Default (NL $100 6max) KK line OOP against flop raise.

Having some trouble with my lines with big pairs OOP against flop aggression.

I've been at this table for about an hour. I had been playing a strict TAG game due to Loose tricky player(who recently left)that was on my left. However, I've opened up my game considerably since he left and I'm raising a lot of pots from BTN/CO in the last few orbits. Villain in this hand bought in a few orbits ago for $40 and doubled up by calling PFR OOP then calling down with a gutshot draw and pushing the river after he hit. He is unlikely to be fully aware that I had been playing TAG for most of this session. He is probably aware that I've raised his button and blinds a few times. He has not shown down any other hands, but has called a few raises and folded on flop.

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.5/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $152.16
CO: $157.75
Hero: $134.75
SB: $75.68
BB: $20

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, SB calls, 3 folds.

Villain called my raise very quickly. Since I feel he'd reraise with something AA I'm thinkingn he's got either a PP 22-QQ or possibly a two big cards, AJ,AQ,AK, KQ, KJ.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($13, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $18</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ??

Ok. The raise concerns me, JT could be in his range but seems unlikely. I'm crushed by JJ,TT, Slightly behind to KQ[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I'm ahead of KJ, AJ, KQo,QQ.

4 possible lines came to mind:
Put him all in now given the pot size and the fact that any 3 bet by me commits us both.

Call flop raise and lead turn. However any meaningfull turn bet likely commits me to the hand, so a 3 bet flop push seems better.

Call flop. Check turn and take action based on what villain does.

Fold. Given the stacks I'm having trouble getting away fromt his. Should I be considering folding in these spots against a 70bb stack when I'm only in bad shape against a set? Deaper or on a different board I've made this laydown, but here I didn't give it much thought.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Re: (NL $100 6max) KK line OOP against flop raise.

Fix the action. Are you SB? Are you button?

Edit: Out of position, I will push this. Folding is super weak.
In position, I would usually call and push any turn.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fix the action. Are you SB? Are you button?

Edit: Out of position, I will push this. Folding is super weak.
In position, I would usually call and push any turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Converter messed up. I'm SB, Villain is BB.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:04 PM

since you are OOP, I suggest all you can eat. Most other lines let him play perfectly or set you up for awkward situations where you don't have enough left to protect your hand. My alternative to this line is stop and go, calling the flop bet, and stomping friendly turn cards.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys. I did push the flop. I also felt it was the best line for this spot.

Follow up Question: If we're in position in this hand and we get check raised on the flop how does that change your line? I would think in that spot that I call the flop raise and push a 'safe' turn if checked to but fold if villain makes a strong turn lead.