Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: 33 speed: What does this turn bet usually mean?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good to know. I pushed and found out, and of course it was a 44-trap. I'm a bit surprised about you speaking of this as a typical donk-move though, I can't remember seeing bets like this too often. The min-lead-bet into a big pot yes, but not this. At least now I know how to trap you with monsters [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is that, readless, this can be TPTK or an overpair like JJ as well. im not surprised he had a set, but generally folding to this readless is bad in a lower buy in because youre usually ahead of villains range. i dont think calling is a big mistake, but i think folding is in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

word
Old 06-23-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must have completely missed the point. If Villain shoved the flop after you bet, do you call? I would hope so. Point being, the guy flopped a set and you are gonna go broke nearly everytime, whether it be on the flop or turn. This is not a trap, its a laughably pointless bet that you are way ahead of nearly all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

travesty's posts have been [censored] awesome lately

(and before latley too)
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM

Thx a lot man, I really appreciate [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 04:12 PM

It means villian sucks at poker.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:37 PM

I'm not a believer in "push and just avoid tuff decisions."

Pushing isnt a bad choice here at all. The question you need to ask is can you improve on it. Always assuming you are up against poor players will not help you improve much as a poker player, albeit it might work in your favor as a pushbotter.

Such a bet is usually a blocker bet or a weak lead, enticing a raise, giving the initial bettor the chance to 3-bet.
You have the option of calling and raising here.

Since he called a hefty bet on the flop, what cud he possibly have? With one card to come you can afford to call here, or raise for value, but if raising commits you to the pot, you're better off calling or pushing.

Lets say you double the bet, and he pushes, you are quite far behind, and you know it. Save some chips, and you have gained a huge equity edge. He can simply call hoping to check raise the river with a monster. You surprise him by checking the river behind some times, and sometimes betting small for value. You can safely lay down to a check raise on the river as well.

you will be close to Way Ahead or Way Behind here. Simply calling will also encourage him to value bet his marginal holding, which you can call(possibly even raise on the river), and also not bet heavy with his monster hand. Yes he cud be drawing to things like 2 pair etc etc, but with a single card to come, you need to take that chance, and re-evaluate on the river.

post-flop play is the final edge you can get once you master the basic pushbotting.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PartyPoker $33 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t60 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2450)
UTG+1 (t1875)
MP1 (t4485)
MP2 (t1064)
Hero (t1880)
CO (t1481)
Button (t3065)
SB (t1780)
BB (t1920)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t180</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t150, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t420) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t300</font>, SB calls t300

Turn: (t1020) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t125</font>

This has to be a trap right?

[/ QUOTE ]

What could he have called your big flop bet with? Tpgk? A2 or A5 for a gut draw?

w/o a read, that turn bet is usually either a blocking bet for a draw or a trap. (thus rule out tp.)

normally i would go broke here since there are lots of draws here. if he has a set or 56 for a straight, then so be it.