Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Blind Stealing, is it worth it

So I tried to steal the blinds in this situation and end up in a sticky situation. I probably played the flop completely wrong, but I'm not sure.

I have no data on villian yet which probably changes the situation a bit but Im not sure when I should steal blinds

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4 BB
Old 06-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Blind Stealing, is it worth it

Yes, blindstealing is worth 'it'. That doesn't mean you should try to steal all blinds every round, even with crap like T4o. If everyone folds to you in late position, you can try to pick up the blinds with any reasonable hand. However, T4o is ABSOLUTELY not a reasonable hand. It's about the worst you can get. So just fold it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 06:26 PM

Location: There\'s no real \"evidence\" for it but it is scientific fact

If you're gonna raise this up, you need to bet the flop. You basically bought some fold equity on the flop by your PF raise, and now you check to him? you're just inviting him to take it back.

Edit : FWIW I wouldn't steal with this hand unless I had a relatively good idea he was a tighty.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:27 PM

I'd be folding this pf. As played... you need to bet out on the flop.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Yes, as you move up limits stealing the blinds becomes more important and definately more worth it. However, despite the name, you still need to have some kind of cards to do this, especially from the SB.

If you want a simple formula to get started with that may work here it is:
1. Don't steal against unknowns. Wait until you have see them play. It's harder to steal from people who don't fold or are very aggressive.
2. Bet the flop, whatever it is.
3. If you get raised and don't have any part of the flop fold. If you have a good draw or a pair call, if you have a great draw or top pair re-raise.
4. If the turn doesn't improve you check. The steal part is over and now you are playing regular pot odds etc.

The worst thing you can do when stealing is check because you lose any momentum or doubt about your cards. If you get played back at and have nothing, including reads on the villain, fold.

But again, until you know better, you must have some kind of cards to steal with. T4o is a fold in the SB, not a steal.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 PM

well, i must admit i would try stealing with the hand you had...

from my reading of one of the Sklansky/Malmuth books (i think it was Hold Em for Advanced Players) one should attempt a steal of the blinds about 2/3's of the time this situation arises--more than that you will have just about anyone playing back at you...

about 1/3 of the time you have a real hand, 1/3 of the time you fold--here is where you would fold your junk hands...and the last 1/3 you are playing a bluff...you will get caught sometimes, but you will get playback with your strong hands to that will cover the losses on the weak hands...

so i have played T4 to steal the blinds? yes, if i had already folded a few weak hands, won with a few strong hands, and had a feel for the bb likelihood about defending his blinds...

now, in a micro limit game would the bb let the blinds go without a fight? your feel for the table and your impression of the bb will give you a clue...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM

A lot more often than not I'm not trying to steal w/ T4o on the button. But, depending on my table image and the quality of the players to my left I'd consider it. However, not betting or raising the flop, especially one like that, totally exposes your bluff for what it is. Raise this flop and see what you get on the turn.

TPK
Old 06-23-2006, 09:24 PM

I've always been torn between stealing with a marginal hand like K2s or complete complete trash like this. The advantage to trash is you ain't married to it, so if you don't get him to fold you don't mind letting it go cause you never want to bring it to SD.

That said, I prefer a marginal hand like A or K rag, and usually hit the trigger 1 or 2 off the button, just in case I flop some draw and I really need a hand.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:37 PM

Yeah, I mean you aren't going to steal w/ this everytime you'd be first in on the button. For me it's usually table image that'll tip the scale in favor of the steal attempt.

It's nice to try to steal w/ something that's not so great every once in a while because it'll be easy to get off of them. It's even better to make this play against your image (which I hope is not someone who would typically bet w/ T4o) so that they're probably putting you on something a little better than what you have. Also they're more likely to call w/ something a little bit worse than usual.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:16 AM

Definitely bet the flop. He could have just about anything and be scared of the A, but when you check twice he knows you don't have it.

I'd usually like a bit stronger hand to steal when I don't know the BB yet, basically just a Q8 or better. Folding a couple of SBs makes stealing easier as the game goes on, too.