Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Backgammon by Paul Magriel

A 2+2 search led me to believe that Paul Magriel's Backgammon is the definitive work on this game.

Does anyone know what the differences are among the 1976, 2001, and 2004 editions (other than price and collectability)?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Backgammon by Paul Magriel

it is a great book, and still a must for all players, but it is not up to date. i am almost certain that all 3 are the same. bill robertie (2 time world champion) has written some great backgammon books. he also sells all good backgammon books his web site is http://thegammonpress.com . you can also call him on his business line 781-641-2091. fyi - he also cowrote the harrington on hold em series
Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the differences are among the 1976, 2001, and 2004 editions (other than price and collectability)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have the 2004 edition, but in the introduction they mention which concepts are outdated now due to analysis by Snowie. Pretty important and certainly not available in the older versions.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:26 AM

Thanks guys. I'll pick up the 2004 edition.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 PM

IIRC, the latest edition corrects some of the errata in previous editions, and the content is the same.

For the best read of Magriel, I would recommend you also buy Classic Backgammon Revisited by Jeremy Bagai (2001).

Bagai presents alternative analyses for several of the example problems where Magriel's analyses 'get it wrong' as proven by Snowie rollouts. By checking off the examples that have been 'overturned' by modern theory, you will prevent yourself from studying concepts that you need to 'unlearn'.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 PM

No offense, but searching 2+2 for backgammon info is a bit like searching Sears for lacy lingerie. You might find something that will work, but it's certainly not their specialty.

BackgammonGalore www.bkgm.com is a much better place to look for BG info on the web.

I would also highly recommend Walter Trice: Backgammon Boot Camp as the best modern text for serious players learning to play competitively.

Trice writes with an excellent teaching style and takes the reader through a logical progression of concepts that gradually delve deeper into the complexities of the game. He makes liberal use of examples along the way. The publisher's website lets you view a sample chapter of the book as well. (www.fortuitouspress.com)
Old 06-23-2006, 02:47 PM

The problem with backgammon is that you can be top ten in the world and make less money than a decent NL 3/6 multi tabler.

I haven't played in a while but the action has totally dried up. New York used to have some action 5 years ago, now do they even have a game at the Acepoint?

The game can be fun but if you want to make money, it is not a good thing to spend your time on.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:58 PM

BigBrother: Thanks, I'll check out that site and book as well.

Jacques:

[ QUOTE ]
The game can be fun but if you want to make money, it is not a good thing to spend your time on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not ever plan on playing backgammon for money.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:36 PM

Backgammon Boot Camp is a great starter, also take a look at Modern Backgammon by Bill Robertie, it focuses on checker play if I remember correctly. I think itīs only available through thegammonpress.com