Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: NOTICE TO JANBENNETT

Every now and again you see one of these threads telling a specific player to shut the * up. I find it amusing that they always turn into a "what to do when you're sitting with a berater" thread. There's always some replies that are some really funny sh*t that I end up either using, or at the bare minimum writing down in my book for possible use down the road.

Y'all's some funny sons-a....
Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have on occasion tried to redirect the ire of the idiot at me by interjecting, but that rarely works. I usually give up and tell the fiend "you just don't get it" and then put them on mute so that it doesn't tilt me.

If anyone has suggestions for how to help someone reconsider their berating ways at the table please post for all to see.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm usually pretty successful at redirecting berators.

Standard starting lines are "The way you two flirt is just embarrassing", "Are you trying to pick him up?", "Come on guys, get a hotel room". (If anyone has some non-homoerotic starters, I'm all ears; these just seem to work.)

Then as soon as I get a direct remark out of Mr. Obnoxious, I pepper him with complete inanities: "I can't hear you, I'm wearing a towel"; "Wait, let me get a pencil", "And his all-girl orchestra", etc.

It takes a little effort, but eventually he forgets the fish, and the side benefit is the fish is usually very entertained by the exchange.

The direct approach NEVER works with these guys, they're just looking for a fight to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it isn't that hard to get them to be pissed at me instead of the fish. It's worth it. I do wonder what effect it has on the other 7 players though. Do they see what I am doing and view me as a bigger threat. I think some actually do. Maybe an added bonus.

psw
Old 06-23-2006, 11:53 AM

I don't know Janbennett, but from experience, the person berating the fish is usually the second worst player at the table.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know Janbennett, but from experience, the person berating the fish is usually the second worst player at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Jan played in a 2p2 game, she was very cordial and appreciative of the help this forum has provided. At the table, she (he?) is a little too tight, but is obv learning. I have not played too much with her, but I have not seen any poor behavior. I hope this thread helps her realize how she should and should not act toward fish.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:16 PM

Berating fish should be easy to solve.

#1. Poker sites should suspend the chat immediately of anyone even close to berating fish.

#2. Report immediately anyone even close to berating fish. This is really important. 3-4 complaints should be plenty for couple month ban on chat of said offender.

Done deal.

I hate to be nittish, but if you dont report it, the problem will not be solved.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The players who do this are usually the most nitty, the 7/3 guys. They know that odds are they will not get another big hand against the donk and that everyone else at the table will be sharing their $$$. I usually just ignore it, and hope it puts them both on tilt, but I may start deflected like mentioned above.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually pretty successful at redirecting berators.

Standard starting lines are "The way you two flirt is just embarrassing", "Are you trying to pick him up?", "Come on guys, get a hotel room". (If anyone has some non-homoerotic starters, I'm all ears; these just seem to work.)

Then as soon as I get a direct remark out of Mr. Obnoxious, I pepper him with complete inanities: "I can't hear you, I'm wearing a towel"; "Wait, let me get a pencil", "And his all-girl orchestra", etc.

It takes a little effort, but eventually he forgets the fish, and the side benefit is the fish is usually very entertained by the exchange.

The direct approach NEVER works with these guys, they're just looking for a fight to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pure gold
Old 06-23-2006, 12:28 PM

I love the comical real chat excerpts that get posted...was hoping for some more in this thread.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:29 PM

Default sorry to hijack ::notice to sanandreas84:: FTP

im in bb with qq

donk fish makes it 2.5 from mp1

i make it 8

he calls

flop k 8 3 (2 diamond)

i push him all in for his last 10 he calls and tables a 7 with no diamond?!??!?!?!?!

sweet no ace

turn ace

river 7

sanandreas84: great call
sanandreas84: wat a joke

at which point donkey leaves with my $$$$$
Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 PM

I frequently berate fish in one of 3 ways:

"nh" (I never really mean it, and if they heard my tone, they would know I am being sarcastic and condescending.)
"nice catch" (when I get 2-3 outed on the river)
"nice call" (when my bluff gets called down by two red fours on an all black KJ9AQ board)

Probably better to not say anything at all, but sometimes I can't help myself.