Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 5
Final Fantasy 7 110 72.85%
Wave Race 64 41 27.15%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Pokerstars NL 50 AK tptk c/r decision

Villian is 32.6/16.7/2.64 thru 138 hands.

On the flop, villian makes very long pause before checking. In my history this is either my hand is very weak, but would like to see the turn, or I am strong, but trying to be weak. Not in between.

My personal feelings is that AK hands I like to keep the pot small, most of the time you have one pair and if I see action and put my stack at risk, I useually get stacked. He has been pusing me around so I decided to 3 bet him here. He has to put me on a very good hand as this is the first time in the session I 3 bet him.

I get check raised on the flop, If I call, I might as well push since the money is going to go in. At best I get shown the other AK. Other times I think I see Aq/kq far more often with a smatering of QQ. Can I please have your opinions.

Dennisa

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 ($77.05)
MP3 ($43.90)
Hero ($49)
Button ($57.95)
SB ($32.75)
BB ($44.95)
UTG ($70.50)
UTG+1 ($13.95)
MP1 ($91.65)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls $3.

Flop: ($11.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $15.5</font>,

What should I do?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars NL 50 AK tptk c/r decision

[ QUOTE ]

In my history this is either my hand is very weak, but would like to see the turn, or I am strong, but trying to be weak. Not in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this statement your read on this particular villain, or is it just a general assessment of what "long pauses" indicate for opponents? If it's a general assessment, it's useless. People make long pauses for a wide variety of reasons: running to pee, answering the phone, six-tabling, wife walked into the room to whine about something, internet hiccup, mistyping a raise and having to correct it, etc. If that's the situation, go ahead and call: villain is quite aggressive and likes this hand -- he will get all the money into the middle on his own with any holding, but will fold many hands that you beat if you push.

However, if your statement was an unusual and player-specific read on this particular opponent, then you should make a small three-bet. A min-reraise tells you everything you need to know, folding out the BS hands and getting four-bet by the monsters. You can then comfortably fold and save half your stack when you're beaten, but pick up the pot when you're ahead.

It seems to me that your statement was a "in my experience..." statement, rather than a "here's my opponent's quirk" statement, so I stick with my original statement: you should call this bet, then call the turn and river bets.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars NL 50 AK tptk c/r decision

I call and probably fold to a turn all in.

There's nothing wrong with re-evaluating. In my experience check-minraise ON THE FLOP means he's weak just about as often as he's strong.