Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM

Default So Red Riding Hood goes to Grandma\'s House with a Basket of Goodies

Not sure if I can tell a story so lets see.

Reads

Hero is tired and playing 2 tables of 6 max to relax. I had been squeaky tight about 20 VPIP before a brief flurry of hands that puts me at about 27 VPIP (I'm 17% on my other table btw - tight is GOot). I have been getting respect although I've PFR with complete garbage 2 times in the last 10 hands to all folds. I've won 4 pots in the last 10 hands. I've shown down TPTK in 2 small pots and 2pr 2 hands ago in another small pot.

Villian is loose VPIP 67 and claims poker is his second job and he only plays the odds which is flat false. PFR is 19% and 2.2 agg. Low showdown % of 23% and low win at SD of 33%. I'm not impressed but he does seem to be paying attention based on a couple of comments about tight play.

villian got most of his stack in this hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($55.40)
Hero ($49.25)
UTG ($39.05)
MP ($52.05)
Button ($16.03)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, SB folds, Hero folds, UTG calls $2.

Turn: ($6) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

River: ($16) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $10</font>, UTG calls $31.55 (All-In), MP calls $21.55.

Final Pot: $79.10

Results UTG has Ah 5h (flush, ace high).
MP has Kh 9c (full house, nines full of sevens).
Outcome: MP wins $79.10.

What do I have and what did I represent? What do you do if you are villian? What does villian in question do?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($56.30)
Hero ($51.15)
UTG ($72.15)
MP ($44.14)
CO ($94.25)
Button ($8.75)

Preflop: SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.50, MP calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $4</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, MP folds, CO calls $11.

Turn: ($38) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($38) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB calls $34.15 (All-In)
Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Re: So Red Riding Hood goes to Grandma\'s House with a Basket of Goodies

OK, so you called a raise of an aggressive player preflop. Some1 had already called the raise. I'm guessing your flat calling range is limited to speculative hands here, as you're raising premiums and even slightly good hands.

Flop comes and you C/R. Your range here would usually be FH/trip nines/flush draw/OESD/OESFD. You might also have some air here somewhere seeing that this villain plays a lot of hands and so likely didnt hit that board, not to mention his flop bet was weak.

turn goes check/check. So you're either scared of the card or you love it. So I guess that means you either have a flush/strt draw that you know is now no good or you have the boat/quads and looks to slowplay.

You open push river. This is either as a bluff as villain checked behind turn or a desperate effort to extract. I'm leaning towards a bluff, even if it is with the strt.

So my guess is that you had 78 and are berating villain's call with TT?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: So Red Riding Hood goes to Grandma\'s House with a Basket of Goodies

To me this hand goes back to the bluff question at SSNL. I really don't see many people laying down much of anything and certainly not this guy. I'm sticking with low FE in SSNL. If they fold, I think we're bluffing with the best hand.

Villian does appears to be thinking about my cards...so what does a non 2+2er read this line. If I'm on a bluff, I advertised to a 2+2er. How about this guy. Is this a monster line for a typical Party player?

I don't see a 9 play this way. How about a 6?

Villian takes entire time and folds. I put him on crap...QJ. I think he calls with TT as db correctly.

FWIW, I think a 2+2er will put me on a missed semibluff as db reads. After the c/r call, the stack size dictates a check on the turn to represent a bluff or keep a decent sized bet for the river bluff. I only have 1 PSB. If I have the nuts, it should be relatively easy to get it in...AI on the turn. There's no reason to slow play so I would have to be on a bluff.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 PM

jjb108,

what did u have then?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM

Complete air on the flop, turn, and river. They were sooted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but red [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

I don't think I told a coherent story with the hand...the c/r was an attempt at flush draw/OESD/or 67. When he calls, my stack was limiting. On the turn, I slowplayed my 6?? River, I was trying to rep a monster to a typical Party player but if villian is smart enough to read hands, I'm really repping a missed semibluff which doesn't help. FPS anyone.

With the fold, I got lucky again...Sweet. Tight it goOt. Sometimes you get respect.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 AM

Worked this time, but I think you are getting waaay to fancy against these SSNL donks. Fold eq is very low at these stakes.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:12 PM

Couldn't agree more that there is low fold equity in SSNL. Bluff only with a good read and at your own risk. Note that semibluffing where betting maximises EV etc is straight up needed in NLHE.

In this hand, I had a read which was correct but I beieve the bluff was poorly executed.

I might do this type of thing once per session with a read.

Linky with my position.

Here are a couple of bluff threads from the past.

Bluff

Value Bluff Theory Post - PokerFink

Grunch - Fold Equity and Bluffing