Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Top set help????

I just started playing PL Omaha 8. This was the first hand dealt to me. I am on the button.

Hero J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

FLOP:
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG bets the pot (3.50)
CO raises the pot (18.00)
HERO????

Do I push here or just call and hope the board pairs. Even if my opponents show me Q9, do I still call or push here?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Top set help????

I would certainly not be folding. I would like to know how much is left behind and what the stakes are. Against a Q9 with a diamond draw you aren't much worse than even money:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1798355
pokenum -o8 kc jc jh 9h - qd 9s 4d 2h -- jd td 8c
Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better: 820 enumerated boards containing 8c Jd Td
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
Kc Jc Jh 9h 383 393 421 6 0 0 0 0.477
9s Qd 4d 2h 421 421 393 6 160 0 0 0.523

I would much prefer that the original bettor come along. If you think he probably has a straight or diamond draw and will never fold, then you should re-raise. Otherwise, you may want to flat call and hope he comes along. It also depends on how much money is behind. If a reraise will just barely put you all-in or put you very close to all-in, you should probably shove since you don't want them to be able to fold correctly if the board pairs on the turn.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM

It was a $50 PL table and I ended up pushing. Both players called with Q9 and the CO also had the nut flush draw. A diamond hit on the turn and then the board paired on the river. I got berated by the player with the flush. He kept asking "how do you call that moron?" I thought it was the right call, but I wanted to ask you all to see what you thought.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:08 PM

If two people are in it with the same straight then you were in a great spot. The flush is irrelevant too--who cares about a flush when you boat up? I probably would have flat called, however, to make sure UTG comes along too. Pot odds are crucial here, so you want as many callers as you can get. He probably would have pushed right behind you anyways.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a $50 PL table and I ended up pushing. Both players called with Q9 and the CO also had the nut flush draw. A diamond hit on the turn and then the board paired on the river. I got berated by the player with the flush. He kept asking "how do you call that moron?" I thought it was the right call, but I wanted to ask you all to see what you thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can berate you all he wants, but you made the correct play. He probably even knows it and is just pissed that he had a huge freeroll with the nuts against the nuts.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1798523
pokenum -o8 kc jh jc 9h - qd ad 9s 7h - qh 9d 2s as -- jd td 8c
Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better: 666 enumerated boards containing 8c Jd Td
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
Kc Jc Jh 9h 309 323 343 0 0 0 0 0.474
9s Ad Qd 7h 107 173 323 170 48 96 0 0.323
As 2s 9d Qh 0 0 496 170 144 0 0 0.203

Their side cards can change their EV some, but yours hardly changes at all. I think this was pretty standard and that guy should have realized it. If it was me, I would have given you a chat full of crap too, but out of frustration that the first time in months I actually hit a big freeroll I had another "douchebag" draw out on me, but I would recognize that your play was fine even though I would be pissed.