Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Just checking if this is standard against an unknown

Villian just sat down and I have no reads on him. It's standard to just call him down?

Should I have raised preflop? What about the flop?

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2BB, 2 players)

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4BB, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: 6BB
Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Just checking if this is standard against an unknown

if i had checked preflop, i'd raise or fold the flop just because i dont expect a bluff to give up on the turn and i dont want to pay off 5 sb showing down in a tiny pot.

but i would never check preflop.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM

A preflop raise is something to consider. You do have about 60 percent equity versus a random hand, and I'd imagine that's approximately what Villain has. (He'll raise his strongest hands, most likely, but he might fold some hands that are complete junk despite the 2/3 blind structure. Or maybe not. Maybe his hand is actually worse than random here. However, against your hand, 76o is actually better than A3o.) Edit: Er, I guess 0.5/1 probably has a 1/2 structure, actually, and maybe his hand is in fact approximately random versus what you've got.

Anyway, postflop seems all right. We don't really know if Villain is bluffing or not, and you can play this way with a good but not great showdown-worthy hand HU in small pots.

Disclaimer: I don't really know how Absolute 0.5/1 plays, and it's possible Villain is bluffing less often than I think. Even if he's not bluffing, though, he might just like his ace-high.

In any case, I wouldn't fold versus a Party 5/10 unknown, for whatever that's worth. The question would be whether I wanted to raise at some point or not. And I probably wouldn't (postflop, anyway).
Old 06-21-2006, 08:34 PM

I also raise this pf 100 percent of the time but as played I raise the flop when it's cheap, it's drawless so if he three bets you you can just get away from it there. If he check calls the turn then I might just check behind on the river because I doubt he's calling a bet on the river with A high after we raise the flop.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:39 PM

You could also call the flop and bet/fold the turn, a 3 won't 3 bet the turn and you can check behind unless you spike a five on the river. He might call your raise on the turn with A high earning you and extra 0.5 BB as opposed to the raise flop play. However you lose an extra 0.5 BB when he does have a 9 which is more probable than a 3. So just raise the flop. Sorry for rambling I always do this [censored].
Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Obvious preflop raise, no? I think you can value raise the turn or river.