Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: wynn 5/10... turn play?

remember that villain doesn't know you have AA.....after that flop action, if he doesn't have a 5, he's gotta be leery of the fact that you might have one.....even though I know you've been getting out of line a bit, the nits in that 5/10 Wynn game aren't usually the type to donk off $3k.....(any idea who villain is btw?).....

FWIW, I might've just called his flop bet.....$90 in the pot, board is K55, play a nice small pot and get value out of a King.....I wouldn't be happy about the $1000 pot on the turn, but maybe I'm misjudging villain....
Old 06-21-2006, 01:43 PM

snazzy new title there, i hadnt heard of this book. good luck
Old 06-21-2006, 01:50 PM

coltrane, the guy in question was roberto... is my read totally off base here?

and about the raise on the flop... just calling on the flop is the standard way to play it, obviously. but the thing is, just calling, there's no way i could be bluffing... and given my image i wanted to make a lot of money from a king, which i felt was possible. his 3-bet really scared the crap out of me though and was completely unexpected, obviously.

in the hand, i wound up raising to 800. my thinking was that it was a good 2 way bet, that given how strong th ehand played out, he might actually fold a weak 5 (i really think he might have given the way he was talking) or myabe he wouldn't believe me and call with a king. i was checking behind the river. also, i thought he might be maknig a move and i didn't want to face a big river bet.

the thing i forgot is that live nits dont make big river bluffs and i could have just folded. anyways, he thought for a while, called the 600 more and shoved a blank river and i folded. looks like calling with the intention of folding to a decent bet probably would have been just fine.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vanessa,

I almost never see anybody in any live game 3-bet a flop with a marginal holding. If he were bluffing the flop, I don't think he would weak lead the turn. Basically, I think you're cooked very often. But folding does seem so weak on the off chance he's bluffing (I don't put Kx hands in villain's range) that a call with the intention of folding to a significant (half pot or more) bet might be in order.

Either way, I think a raise is suicidal and that you should be hating your hand right now, not looking for reasons to put money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Live nits in Vegas will never be 3 betting a K on the flop. I also don't understand a turn raise.

Regards,

Fin
Old 06-21-2006, 04:37 PM

ok, it appears my live read is off. i haven't played much live. when i was in vegas i saw a hand where a dude who i thought was a local nit bet a J high flop into the preflop raiser, the PFR raised, the local re-raised, the PFR pushed, the local went into the tank and called. The showdown was won by the PFR with AJ. maybe my experience wasn't typical.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:46 PM

This thread is great. Live players really are this easy to read.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 PM

fs,

I call the turn and either fold or raise the river depending on what I think he has. Live poker rules like that.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:32 AM

Coltrane you're indian?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fs,

I call the turn and either fold or raise the river depending on what I think he has. Live poker rules like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Is calling the river ever terrible if you're unsure?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
snazzy new title there, i hadnt heard of this book. good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks Jason....