Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 11:44 PM

Default 1000BB Headsup PLO hand

This is on the B2B network where a full buyin is 200BB

I've been playing on this 6max 50c/1euro table for about 3 hours. I have been running well, hitting good hands and also making marginal calls that have held up. I got most of my stack after a 3-way all-in fest on the flop. I held A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] board. Villain1 had nut straight, Villain2 had top set, I hit my flush.

My opponent for the hand in question has been playing a similar game to me, TAG preflop, slightly looser postflop. He (like me) has been taking advantage of the dozens of shortstacks who join the table trying to double up. They all went Busto.

It is currently just me and Opponent playing headsup.
Every hand is potted preflop, and maybe re-potted 50% of the time. 3-bets preflop are pretty rare and not called alot. We have yet to play a big hand. So far the play seems fairly ABC to me, not many hands reach showdown, Villain has called me down several times with top 2 pair on a drawless board (no straights or flushes). He's far more aggressive with any made hand better than 2 pair, or good draws.

Hero: 1025euro
Villain: 1100euro
Blinds 50c/1euro

I am on the button (SB) with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raise to 2.50euro, Villain repots to 7.50euro, I repot to 22.50euro, Villain calls.

Flop: (45euro) is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I bet pot 45euro, Villain check-raises to 120euro, Hero??????

As far as I can tell Villain wouldn't be c/r like this with air, the least he has is maybe KK67, a set or a draw like mine is what I'd expect him to have.

I've never played this deep before, and I don't have much experience with headsup PLO cash games. What the hell should I be doing in this hand?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Re: 1000BB Headsup PLO hand

call
Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell Villain wouldn't be c/r like this with air, the least he has is maybe KK67, a set or a draw like mine is what I'd expect him to have.

I've never played this deep before, and I don't have much experience with headsup PLO cash games. What the hell should I be doing in this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that heads up when a good player makes a really strong move or represents they have what they are representing. So I'd guess a set, or top two pair. Would he play 889T, 99TJ, 89TAs like that preflop?

Other factors:
Previous info on villain: Has villain hit top set shorthanded before..how did he play it?

Opponent's read of you: From his eyes, what would you 3 bet with preflop? (You say it's rare to 3 bet.) I would imagine preflop info is more important here, but considering post-flop issues: have you been leading at the pot often enough to be on draws or have nothing? If he thinks there is a good chance you have nothing, he'll need less to play hand. And even with two pair, would want to win the hand right there.

I think that since you have pot odds plus some implied odds you probably have to call.

If you had less than 10 outs, I'd definitely fold though:
1. I'd say at least 50% of the time he'll bring more heat on the turn, and you really would want to hit your straight.

2. It might set up a future play where opponent will c/r thinking you are weak. Obviously there are better situations for you to be in facing a c/r.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 AM

Laforz,

As others have noted, you should just call. His willingness to escalate the pot OOP shows that QQ most likely isn't the current best hand. Also your draw isn't as good as it seems as some of your outs are in your hand. So just call and see the turn, and if you don't hit then a pass is in order facing another bet.

Also, I often would have checked behind on the flop to keep the pot smaller until I hit. Note that the reason I would do this is both because he did raise pre even if he only called a reraise, because 98 hits a lott of middle straight hands, and because it preserves the power of position and makes him less clear on what you hold when the turn card gets there. If QQ is actually the best hand, then checking behind allows you to call a smaller turn bet and often be checked to on the river and thus get a cheaper showdown for when it is good and you don't make a straight or set.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Laforz,

As others have noted, you should just call. His willingness to escalate the pot OOP shows that QQ most likely isn't the current best hand. Also your draw isn't as good as it seems as some of your outs are in your hand. So just call and see the turn, and if you don't hit then a pass is in order facing another bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
agree but I would still bet the flop. Yes it hits a lot of middle straight hands, but not as well as it hit you.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TrollInc:
My experience is that heads up when a good player makes a really strong move or represents they have what they are representing. So I'd guess a set, or top two pair. Would he play 889T, 99TJ, 89TAs like that preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes definitely, especially the 889T type hands, remember he only repotted, I put in the 3 PF raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Previous info on villain: Has villain hit top set shorthanded before..how did he play it?

[/ QUOTE ]Once that I remember, I think he whiffed the c/r on the flop, a flush came on the turn that I bluffed, he called and we checked the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent's read of you: From his eyes, what would you 3 bet with preflop? (You say it's rare to 3 bet.)

[/ QUOTE ]He knows I'd 3-bet PF with AAxx, a slightly coordinate KKxx, a pretty QQxx, any wrap hand 5678 or higher, possibly a 2pair hand like 88TTss, basically any premium preflop Omaha hand.
He knows I will always bet my good draws.

[ QUOTE ]
BluffThis: Also, I often would have checked behind on the flop to keep the pot smaller until I hit. Note that the reason I would do this is both because he did raise pre even if he only called a reraise, because 98 hits a lott of middle straight hands, and because it preserves the power of position and makes him less clear on what you hold when the turn card gets there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about this. Headsup with a hand as good as mine do I really want to check behind on the flop? I have to figure to be ahead (or drawing very live) against Villains range, so money should go in the middle yes?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BluffThis: Also, I often would have checked behind on the flop to keep the pot smaller until I hit. Note that the reason I would do this is both because he did raise pre even if he only called a reraise, because 98 hits a lott of middle straight hands, and because it preserves the power of position and makes him less clear on what you hold when the turn card gets there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about this. Headsup with a hand as good as mine do I really want to check behind on the flop? I have to figure to be ahead (or drawing very live) against Villains range, so money should go in the middle yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You have no reason to believe that your hand is not best, and even if it is not, you have position and an excellent draw.

I like putting money in on this flop, if you take it down here, then thats ok too.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:17 PM

For me this is a flop-pot everytime. Also I probably call the turn bet even without flushdraw improvement.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:00 PM

call...

shove on the 5d, 6d, 7d, and T-Q,. Call on a 2d,4d,kd,ad turn. This is assuming hes not too good n will pot too many turns into you. Also i'd debate calling on a turn 3 (and obv folding any non Q river...) b/c 1. your hand would look huge, 2. itd be a common spot for him to bluff imo.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 PM

What do people think about Villains flop c/r to 120euro?
When he did it I was a bit 'wtf?' since every other time either of us bet it was always a full pot bet.
A full pot bet should have been to 180euro.

Wouldn't the regular way to play Villains hand (if he's hit that flop) to lead and hope to get raised?