Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 06:30 PM

Default People\'s YTDs

Why do people love to come to the sports forum and post records they claim they have so far? I'm mostly calling out rush66 and cant_win. Cant_win starts a thread, his first world cup post, with no prior picks, and says he's 7-2. And he would have broken even today had he not gone out on a limb with a -275 Germany pick. And rush posts his alleged 12-1-2 +22 units record every chance he gets. He's posted TWO picks on this site and both were huge favorites. Just read his posts. Half of them are after the game happens and he says that he had the winning team. What good is that doing any one? It's just a total look-at-me post. If you post a YTD, you have to have made the pick before the game happened and post the juice and the units. It's in the FAQ. I don't want this forum turning into somewhere like eog where it's just a bunch of people saying "look at my record, I'm up 20 units!" and attention-whoring. The point of posting is so we can discuss and get better and share good lines, not to try to get the most props from a cool YTD. And if you want people to give you props and respect, post picks before the game, and if you consistently do well, people will notice. But all these posts from people who have been here a week with like two picks in random threads that start of with, "So far I'm 12-1 for +30 units..." are just retarded and it has no place here and it detracts from good cappers we have on here who actually have legit YTDs.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Re: People\'s YTDs

You make some good points, Rhino, and I generally agree. That being said, I think this forum suffers from a lack of plays, and not from attention whores who post too many picks and inflated records. I do not think this is likely to change, as it is not specifically a sports betting forum, but a poker forum with people who also bet sports. That plus the general 2+2 critical nature and the few nits/trolls we have will probably discourage the average poster. Hopefully what remains will be the poker players who have thick skins and substantiated winning LT records.

So, since we have too few picks, and not many attention whores, I think we need to err in the direction of encouraging LT pickers. Part of a sports betting forum is encouraging discussion, but only part. If you need input and discussion to make the pick, then it is probably simply near a 50-50 play. The bigger part of a sports betting forum to me is people posting plays, with the LT winners rising to the top and the LT losers quietly doing their thing unmolested. Then everyone can benefit from trailing the LT winners.

With that in mind, I don't mind someone claiming an initial record before his first post on the sport, and all are free to believe or disbelieve the poster. But thereafter, only the forum record should be posted. And when ML's are used, juice and units definitely need to be included. Not so big a deal when using spreads where almost every pick is +100 to -110 or so.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:11 PM

Hotintheserhinos,

First I would like to say Im sorry if I offended you. I am not trying to get props at all here. I have only posted my YTD twice hoping to help people out and take part in this forum. I explained that I was in Brazil and not able to post some of my picks. Furthermore, Since 1 unit = 15 dollars, it is not hard to make 22 units. I am here to try to add something to this forum because it has helped me a long a lot. If you would like I will send you screenshots from the two sites I use to make my bets to show you my record, if you give me your email address. I will give you mine in return if you want. Addressing what you said about Favorites. I have not bet on an underdog yet. I make bets that I consider to be safe and "huge favorites." Hence that gives me a good record making only roughly 400 dollars. There is no need to bet underdogs because in the past two world cups there have only been two big upsets. I think I will take my chances with the favorites. Perhaps my methods are stupid risking 500 on a Germany pk to win 100. But in my eyes that is a lock so I took it. I already mentioned in an earlier post that I take (pk's and -1) rather than ML's to get the push. Again Im sorry if I offended you.

Rush
Old 06-20-2006, 07:14 PM

llabb,

From now on, I will post only my forum record. Thank you for bring that to my attention in a tactful manner. I appreciate it greatly.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:34 PM

What? If you dont like my plays or think that I am lying about my record, DONT READ MY POSTS. I just started posting my picks. And as far as "going out on a limb" taking Germany, a "W" is still a "W." So, you would rather take the other side at +400 and lose? Keep taking the dogs in the WC and you will lose.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this forum suffers from a lack of plays

[/ QUOTE ]

The forum lacks discussion of plays. As I have stated on several ocassions I think listing picks (with no analysis) is stupid. Listing picks (usually) will stimulate no discussion whatsoever. Once a week or so I try to break down a game with my why's and wherefores to try and stimulate some discussion but the discussion rarely happens.

I enjoy handicapping discussions and reading the thought process that goes into a betting selection but we see very little to none of that around here.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:15 PM

llab is right. this section of 2p2 is pretty weak in general.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM

I dont find it weird that this section of 2p2 is weak as it isnt a forum dedicated for sports, I think its more for the gambler in the poker players here to discuss various bets they like as they dont do this full time? Offcourse Im not complaining if there came some good cappers here or some good discussion regarding games, but one should look at other forums for it I guess..
Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What? If you dont like my plays or think that I am lying about my record, DONT READ MY POSTS. I just started posting my picks. And as far as "going out on a limb" taking Germany, a "W" is still a "W." So, you would rather take the other side at +400 and lose? Keep taking the dogs in the WC and you will lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to drag this out, but the "don't read my posts" argument doesn't work. The reason I made the above post and the reason we have these rules in the FAQ is so people don't give undue credit to your posts and see your YTD and start tailing your picks because of it. It doesn't have to do with me personally reading your posts. And I highlighted your Germany pick because you are posting a record with no units. Obviously a record of 7-2 if you pick games that are -110 or so means you are doing well, but 7-2 if you are picking -300 favorites is not nearly as impressive. So your posting that you are 7-2 with no units is mis-leading. I don't know how you interpreted that as me saying you can't pick favorites or that I personally take a lot of dogs or that you should have taken Ecuador today. End of thread.