Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Default Position Stats

Just curious how many other 2+2ers put stock into the position stats on their poker tracker. I recently took a look at mine and noticed one glaring problem. I am up well over $5,000 in every position on the table (excluding the blinds)except for one off the button. My strategies for this position are pretty much the same as the button. In this position its hard to believe that I am actually down a few hundred. Doesn't make much sense. Anyone have any insights into why this might be?

I am also curious how many winning players are actually showing a net profit in their blinds. Is it possible to achieve a profit in this position? And what ratios of net profit or loss to blinds posted are you showing in both positions.

Thanks for all you responses in advance. Hopefully this thread will spur some good conversation.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Position Stats

The negative you have in the cut-off is almost certainly due to variance and and inadequate sample size. The position numbers can take quite a bit of time to converge.

And no, it is not possible to realize a profit from the blinds. Putting money in with random hands out of position can never be profitable no matter how bad your opponents play.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:29 AM

I guess I should have put the sample size in to make the post more meaningful. This sample is based on 30k hands. Is that still variance or is it possible that I am making some serious errors in this position? I was thinking that the puck could be seriously outplaying me when I try to steal from this position. However it does seem to be quite a large variance.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:36 PM

I would say that it is almost definately just variance with 30K hands. My database still had all kinds of quirks at 30K hands. I probably wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And no, it is not possible to realize a profit from the blinds. Putting money in with random hands out of position can never be profitable no matter how bad your opponents play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be a nit here, but strictly speaking this is not true. In practice, players don't play bad enough to let you profit from the blinds, but theoretically they could.

For example, suppose everyone always limped before the flop. After the flop they never bet, raised or folded. They simply checked or called, whichever option being available to them at the time. Then one could show a hefty profit from the blind.

In fact, in such an extreme game, winrate would probably be independent of position, as I think any two cards would be profitable to (at least) limp with before the flop. Even 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Edit: To the OP, your results are almost certainly due to sample size effects.