Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 08:13 AM

Default Q. Re: World Cup Coverage in the UK

Do they show same day game highlights or talk about scores from that days matches during coverage of a later match? Haven't watched major football coverage in the UK for several years but was pretty sure announcers maintained some level of 'secrecy' or at least warned you before scores were mentioned.

ESPN/ABC coverage talks about scores without warning. This really annoys me since I don't get to watch all games in order. Previous days games scores, well I would expect that. But matches that happened immediately prior, I really wish there would be a buffer period in which they wouldn't discuss match results, or they warned you first, and/or only talked about it during half-time where you can choose to skip it.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM

For the WC yes they talk and show the goals, I suspect cos every match is on live anyway.

On a normal match day on the news before match of the day they give you a warning normally and dont say the scores so you can close your eyes or whatever.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 AM

around here since all the games are shown live they don't really care about it. But (as an example) two games from champions league are shown every day and when they give the day's results they hide the result of the game they'll show afterwards.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Q. Re: World Cup Coverage in the UK

They mention results cause they assume the average citizen is either watching any game anyway or isnt interested at all.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They mention results cause they assume the average citizen is either watching any game anyway or isnt interested at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, the results are relevant. For instance Ghana being Czech meant that it wasn't critical for the US to beat Italy.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:31 AM

I'm watching the RTE (Irish) coverage of Ecuador-Germany and they just gave an update on the score in the Costa Rica-Poland game. Which I could have done without, because I'm just going to watch it as soon as this is over anyway, and it has no effect on how the teams should play in this game.

I haven't got BBC/UTV so I'm not sure whether they would do this, but I didn't think RTE would do it either.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm watching the RTE (Irish) coverage of Ecuador-Germany and they just gave an update on the score in the Costa Rica-Poland game. Which I could have done without, because I'm just going to watch it as soon as this is over anyway, and it has no effect on how the teams should play in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

In both Group A and Group C, the results of the other game are completely irrelevant. But what if it does have an effect? Group E for example. Doesn't knowing that ITA is winning (or losing) make the USA/GHA game MORE exciting. (i.e., USA advances if they when and ITA wins. GHA finishes in first if they win and ITA draws). I would think that knowing the result of the other game is of utmost importance.