Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem???

[ QUOTE ]
Do you feel like there is nobody else as interesting as you are?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, exactly the opposite...I find myself not interesting so why would anyone else find me interesting?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no, exactly the opposite...I find myself not interesting so why would anyone else find me interesting?

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus it feels like i just met my twin. i am the exact same way. everything you said in that post is exacly how i feel. i know i suffer from depression alot(especially now after just losing half my br, but thats a different story...back to 25nl.) good luck bro.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:45 AM

Default Nothing comes to something

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really think I'm depressed b/c I'm out and about and stuff, I just basically don't care about anything...

[/ QUOTE ]Of course, you are depressed. And you have every right to be.

Neurosis is actually the "normal" state of mind, for intelligent people.

To regain empathy, you should first follow your wishes, which are quite obvious, as you described yourself: you just don't feel like joining the "rat race" of corporate life at this moment in your life. So don't. (Can you analyze such a prospect? Try presuming less future expenses.)
Old 06-20-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Nothing comes to something

[ QUOTE ]

To regain empathy, you should first follow your wishes, which are quite obvious, as you described yourself: you just don't feel like joining the "rat race" of corporate life at this moment in your life. So don't. (Can you analyze such a prospect? Try presuming less future expenses.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this
and
this

The Flow book referenced is also very good.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 PM

Wow, you and I would get a long great. I've been out of college for a year and I've gone through two serious jobs, one serious relationship, three cities, and still don't have a clue as to where I'll be in a year from now.

I think about going back to school, but like you, I don't know what I would get a grad degree in. Maybe Law? Maybe Education? I don't want to waste three years and $100K untill I know for sure.

Screw the psychiatrists/psychologist, you sound fine to me. Depression and anxiety come and go, but they build character. If you are feeling suicidal, then you should probably go...

I read a good book the other day, it was called something like: "The Quarter-Life Crisis." I highly reccomend it. Good advice from people who have gone through what we are experiencing.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 PM

Sounds like you're depressed. I've been there.
I believe there is a strong connection between mind and body. For me, a)getting outdoors and b)doing physical activity (not necessarily together) make a HUGE difference in my mood. You might want to try a month of exercise to see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you're depressed. I've been there.
I believe there is a strong connection between mind and body. For me, a)getting outdoors and b)doing physical activity (not necessarily together) make a HUGE difference in my mood. You might want to try a month of exercise to see if it makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent advice Elaine
Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 PM

When it comes to most things I feel the same as the original poster. I am so lazy when it comes to college because I know the two places I'm possibly going to go, college doesn't mean squat. It's all about who you know. Whatever you need to know in the business world they will train you at your job. School is pointless for business majors like myself.

My only passion besides poker is football. I want to be a college football coach and I work with the football team at the school I'm at, so I guess I go that for me. But again, college education really doesn't mean squat for that either. So my attitude towards life right now is really about the same. I don't give a crap about hardly anything. I'm not depressed or anything. I dunno, it's nice to know someone else feels the same way as me.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Well, for whatever reason you are resistant to hearing it, but you pretty obviously have clinical depression or, perhaps, another health problem -- but because of your age I'd put my money on clinical depression. This form of clinical depression (ennui, as another poster called it) seems to respond very readily to the modern medications, so you may as well talk to a doctor and get it checked out. Normal healthy people may not be interested in poker, but they have other interests -- and, at your age, the sexual drive (OK to put it crudely getting laid) would be a big part of life if you were healthy. As far as being a sociopath, nothing in your post convinces me that you even know what a sociopath really is. Most sociopaths actually get quite a bit of enjoyment out of life in their own twisted way -- or at least the ones I know do. If you don't hop out of bed in the morning thinking of ways to eff with people's minds, I don't see how you can call yourself a sociopath without being laughed out of the room.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:34 PM

Hey Adam,

I think I know just exaclty how you feel, I go through this exact same sort of emotional (or lack thereof) state of mind from time to time. Everything will be going fine for a couple of monthes and then I start to get this feeling like I am a boring person or that nothing out of the ordinary happens to me. This is when I quit my job and I am usually content with my decisions. I don't feel bad or depressed but I feel like I am too neutral.

There are a couple of things that I do to change this.

One, read some books on things that interest you or things that you might want to do one day.

Try going on an outdoors excursion. I love going in the woods, setting up shop for a couple of days and making a fire. Out there, there is no one to find interest in you anyways, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Bring a close friend who might like to do this. But make sure you go to have fun and not worry about anything.

Try to learn new things. When you do this, you feel as if though you are accomplishing something and you begin to think that you are an interesting person as a result of your intelligence. Everyone is an interesting person in their own ways.

One other thing and this is the biggest but most life altering of them all. Try moving to a place that is different from the place you are in. If you live in a city, move to a more rural place. Or maybe you could move to Vegas while you are in between jobs, it is cheap and always exciting. Or maybe try moving somewhere else. If you move, you need to challenge yourself to network and meet new people. When you do, lie to them and tell them you run a music production company or a traveling circus (this is more fore times when you are drunk and you will never meet the person again). Do things that make yourself laugh, some people will laugh with you. Some will laugh at you though, but f*ck em (no, not butt f*ck'em).

I don't know, I guess I am rambling, but I go through the same thing. Just find something you want to do and pursue it till you fail and do it again.

Hope this helps,
GrinDed