Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 02:00 PM

Default bob ciaffone\'s need opinions???

He offers coaching and is coming out with a new no limit book near the end of the year. Anybody have opinions on him from reading his books..specifically on holdem games
Old 06-17-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: bob ciaffone\'s need opinions???

His books are all excellent. Middle Limit Holdem is a must have for anyone that plays limit poker. Improve Your Poker is also great, covering a wide variety of games and topics. Pot Limit and No Limit Poker is another must have if you play any form of big bet poker (covers things like PLO, draw, and of course nlhe). A couple weeks (months?) ago he rereleased his Omaha book, which is one of the must have books if you play Omaha.

Overall, he's a fantastic author. I'm currently rereading MLHE and highly recommend it.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 PM

very, very happy with the one ciaffone book i have (MLP).... great value and easy to read...

he has tons of articles posted at cardplayer magazine. check it out.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:18 AM

Besides the 2+2 books Bobs books are the only other books I own.
Besides Roy Cooks book.
I anxiously await bobs NL book that is far past the expected release date.
You CANNOT go wrong with anything written by bob.

jim grass
Old 06-18-2006, 10:51 AM

You will find both criticism and praise of his work if you use the search feature. MLH is considered to be weak tight but it's still on my must read list none the less because of the thought process that he puts into his analysis - except I wouldn't recommend it to anyone until they are a very solid player and can filter through the bad hand examples knowing that Bob finds far too many folds in fear of monsters (believed to be because of his Omaha background).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2006, 04:43 PM

TT nailed the strengths and weaknesses of the writings. again, check the search.

his coaching is probably good. he likely will use hand histories and he should help with your thought process. bob is an excellent nl player, and a very strong limit player. if you can't get sklansky, bob is a good choice for limit coaching, and likely a better choice for nl.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:27 AM

Improve Your Poker is excellent and will really teach you how to play AK when it misses in Hold'em. (I think this to be a lamentable gap in HPFAP.)
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Second what everyone else said. His books are very good because he articulates his thought process very well. The only real thing you can ever question are his assumptions, but given the assumptions he gives, he walks through to the conclusions in an accurate straight forward manner. He also seems like a very nice guy, I don't think you can go wrong getting coaching from him if you can afford it. (What does he charge, btw?)
Old 06-19-2006, 08:09 PM

I purchased Ciaffone's coaching services. Email him for the price, I was amazed at how inexpensive it was. He starts you out with a bunch of material to read, mostly about NLHE. I was more interested in PLO/8. The "routine" is you mail him a question and he answers or mail him a hand history (but don't send a hand history file from your computer, tell him about the hand, cards, reads, stack sizes, ...) and he will analize it.

He's a nice guy and answers his email within 24 hours, even when he is on the road (he doesn't guarentee that part, it just my experience).

Bill
Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 AM

Judging from his tangle with Ed Miller, it would be more appropriate to criticize Jim Brier than Bob Ciaffone for errors in "Middle Limit Holdem". The book that Bob wrote on his own, "Improve Your Poker" is very good and recommended by Ed.