Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Party $6: I flopped a set. Now what?

[ QUOTE ]
People at the $6s suck, for many different reasons, but the main reason is that they call too much.

You should never miss an opportunity to let your opponents make a mistake. Therefore, raise this preflop, and lead the flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever think it's right to c/r with a set? How about the amount that I chose. I'm retrospect I think it might have been a little steep. Of course that's a pointless question if you think the check-raise is just a bad play.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever think it's right to c/r with a set? How about the amount that I chose. I'm retrospect I think it might have been a little steep. Of course that's a pointless question if you think the check-raise is just a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]
One thing I've learned from playing low buyins is don't get tricky. I've lost track of the number of times I've bet my set, got called by two players, turn comes a brick, push, get called, double up.

I agree with all the other posters, worrying about table image at low buyins is a waste of brain power.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 AM

When I have a set, I really don't mind much when a flush draw calls. They don't have as many clean outs, and even if they hit a clean out on the turn, you can boat the riv. You're a little better than 70/30 against a flush draw here and I welcome that for this chance to gain a LOT of chips.

I'd lead that flop, no doubt.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 AM

Depending on the situation, either of the three options, leading out, check-raising or check-calling the flop could be a viable option when you flop a set OOP. The point other people have tried to make in this thread is that in this particular hand leading the flop seems to be the best option because (1) the pot isn't very large and you want to build it up and hopefully get your whole stack in there eventually, (2) check-raising is the most common play with a set and just leading is more deceptive, (3) this is a $6 so people will call you with all kinds of garbage.

Check-calling is a viable option when you flop a set on a very dry board, preferably heads up, and you put your opponent on a hand that is drawing dead or nearly so, such as two overcards. Obviously, you want them to make a second best hand that will pay you off.

A check-raise is best, as others have stated, when the pot is larger and someone else has raised preflop and will likely C-bet any flop. You can then checkraise them and possibly make them feel commited to call your bet with a more marginal hand.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:55 PM

Your pre-flop play is, excuse-my-French, horrible. If you *knew* that UTG had AK, wouldn't you want to re-raise instead of letting him see the flop cheaply? And you simply can't worry about AA or KK - you're going broke if either has that!

I don't have as much of a beef with the check-raise, although I would've led with a pot-sized bet. The key is to get your money in the middle (and theirs) ASAP.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:06 PM

BTW I would open raise this to around 170-200. 120 invites all the set hunters to come out and play. As played, reraise all in preflop. Post flop lead half to 3/4 pot. Check calling if a diamond hits on turn or river.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 PM

Your strategical check-raising at the $6's will only outfox 1 person.....you. Bet your hand.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the tough love. One more question. My intuition tells me that the right amount to lead out for in this situation is roughly 2/3 pot. Is this about the right amount?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tough love. One more question. My intuition tells me that the right amount to lead out for in this situation is roughly 2/3 pot. Is this about the right amount?

[/ QUOTE ]

From OctaveShift, since he said it perfectly:

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop? You want to bet enough so that anyone chasing a flush isn't getting proper odds to do so. I'd lead for 2/3. Remember, they will miss their flush more than they will hit it, so don't be afraid of monsters under the bed.

Just price them out, and let them make a mistake by calling

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-19-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise pf unless you have an airtight read on an opponent. at the $6s, I would always reraise pf unless my opponent only opens <3% of hands early

[/ QUOTE ]

How could you know this?