Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Top Pair plush Flush draw, reraised...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($85.80)
Hero ($236.85)
UTG ($111.80)
MP ($186.95)
CO ($81.40)
Button ($120.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4, CO calls $4.

Flop: ($19) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $32</font>, Hero calls $12.

Turn: ($83) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($123) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $42</font>, Hero ???

Not sure what my line is here. Villain just sat down. Villain has about 20 bucks left. Call? Reraise him all In? Fold? Ahhh!
Old 06-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Top Pair plush Flush draw, reraised...

His turn bet looks really weak. And on the river, I think you have to call getting ~4:1. Optional lines:

1) Push the flop over his raise. At this point you might have the best hand, you probably have the best draw, and he may fold an overpair, or TP better kicker.
2) Push the turn. I don't like this that much, but that turn bet screams out weakness. If you push here, you probably get a fold, and if you get called, you have outs.

I'm not sure what's the best line, but I have been pushing flops like this lately with good results (I could just be running good.)

Your thoughts?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Push the flop you're a coinflip against an overpair and you have FE + dead money in the pot
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM

Looks to be like Villain has a big pair. His preflop and flop play seem consistent with that. His turn bet just looks donkish. I push.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push the flop you're a coinflip against an overpair and you have FE + dead money in the pot

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-19-2006, 12:49 PM

I don't really like a checkraise on the flop because if he calls, the turn can get awkward and you are going to need good reads and hand reading skills to make correct decisions.

Instead, go for bet/3bet AI. Since the button is the PFR and you are first to act, you could trap some money in the pot if CO calls your initial bet.

You are about 52-48 against an overpair, which is good because, as others have pointed out, you have dead money in the pot plus fold equity.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:18 PM

What in the HELL are you calling preflop for?

What's with all the wimpy check-raises today? Is there some kind of disease going around?

Your check-raise offered 4:1 direct odds and up 12:1 implied to to the opponent to call. That's about as bad of a misapplication of a check-raise as I can think of. If you're going to check-raise (which I'm not decided on) it should be a pot-sized raise at least, which means making it $43 to go.

As played, I guess you have to call every bet. You'll probably lose, but it's concievable that the opponent has A8. You have two-pair, you're getting 4:1. He won't fold anything if you put him all-in, so you might as well. Your flop play is what got you in to this mess, and that's why I prefer a bet-3bet line to a check-raise line.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:30 PM

^^agreed