Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Boxing: Wright-Taylor (Spoilers)

Draw. Pretty good fight except the final round.

Great contrast in styles. Interesting that Wright, the counterpuncher, wanted Taylor on the ropes while Taylor, the puncher, kept backing to the ropes despite Manny Steward's instructions in the corner.

I really didn't think Taylor had a shot. I figured Wright would be way too crafty for him. Taylor is still clumsy, but he's fast and hits so hard.

Wright didn't even try in round 12 thinking he had it sewn up. Wtf was he thinking? Did his corner tell him he had it won? He sounded like a moran after the fight saying everyone knew he won.

Wright says no rematch but I'd love to see one.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Boxing: Wright-Taylor (Spoilers)

I don't know what Wright was thinking. If you caught it on HBO, his corner told him something like if he wins the 12th, he has it won. Maybe he filtered that information to mean he had it won but he should take the 12th too just in case.

I thought Taylor followed his corner's advice towards the end. Plus things went better for him from the ropes in the last rounds.

I actually thought Taylor won outright. But I'm clueless about boxing. A friend of mine who knows this stuff much better than me agrees. He thought Taylor was landing stronger shots. Although he thought it would be scored a draw.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought Taylor followed his corner's advice towards the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he didn't. He kept backing into the corner and Steward told him every round stay in the center of the ring. I thought it was a great fight and a draw seemed right. I don't know how Wright thought he had it won, going into the 12th I thought either fighter could be up one round. If I had to choose a winner I would have said Wright because he was more active, although Taylor is more powerful for sure.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:53 PM

I disagree with the decision and think Wright won, despite a stupid 12th round. He landed a higher total and higher percentage, inlcuding power punches. Taylor's punches were harder and even when he missed they moved Winky, but most of those punches didn't hit him clean.

The 12th round definitely sucked though. And I think it helped Winky lose the fight. But the combination of how strong Taylor was throwing, final round, location, and defending champ made it tough. I really want a rematch.