Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Player of the Game?
Troy Smith 13 46.43%
Ted Ginn, Jr 14 50.00%
A. J. Hawk 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Mike Breen\'s status as a basketball play-by-play announcer?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was clearly a violation. Wade jumped from the frontcourt, then caught the ball, and landed in the backcourt. That's a violation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wade had dual status once he left his feet from the frontcourt without possession. He then gained possession in the backcourt. Thus, it was considered a frontcourt to backcourt throw-in, which while normally a violation, a specific exception allows it in the NBA inside 2 minutes of the 4th quarter and in overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as dual status. The NBA allows you to inbounds into the back court in the last two minutes, but it still does not allow you to inbound into the front court and then carry it into the back court, which is what happened. I'm not a fan of either team, but that was a backcourt violation.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A foul is a foul, at any time of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

For better or worse, this just isn't true.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was clearly a violation. Wade jumped from the frontcourt, then caught the ball, and landed in the backcourt. That's a violation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wade had dual status once he left his feet from the frontcourt without possession. He then gained possession in the backcourt. Thus, it was considered a frontcourt to backcourt throw-in, which while normally a violation, a specific exception allows it in the NBA inside 2 minutes of the 4th quarter and in overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as dual status. The NBA allows you to inbounds into the back court in the last two minutes, but it still does not allow you to inbound into the front court and then carry it into the back court, which is what happened. I'm not a fan of either team, but that was a backcourt violation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not. Red Bean already cleared this up in the thread. NBA rules are very often specifically different from NCAA and NFHS (traveling, for instance).
Old 06-19-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not. Red Bean already cleared this up in the thread. NBA rules are very often specifically different from NCAA and NFHS (traveling, for instance).

[/ QUOTE ]

And I was replying to RedBean's message, because it was incorrect.

The rule for the last two minutes allows a team to inbound the ball into the backcourt. It does NOT allow you to inbound the ball to the front court and carry it into the back court, which is what happened.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wade jumped from the front court, caught the ball in the air (thus establishing possession in the front court), and then landed in the back court. If he had stepped into the backcourt before he caught the ball, then he would have been fine. But instead, he committed a backcourt violation that wasn't called.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incorrect, as applied in the last two minutes or overtime.

To establish a frontcourt or backcourt status, the player has to control the ball. While in mid-air, Wade had dual status. When he gained possession and landed in the backcourt, it was considered a inbounds into the backcourt.

Excerpt from NBA rulebook:

Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player, or (3) a throw-in in the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:14 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if ive every seen a series go from borderline sweep (which it would have been if Miami lost game 3 due to psycological reasons alone) to a good chance to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

2004 alcs?

Also, some of you clearly don't know the rules set forth regarding fouling in the nba. The offensive player is alloewd to initiate contact on a defensive foul. That's what wade was trying to do on that shot at the end of regulation when he looked ridiculosu and I don't know how the dallas defender actually avoided contact there.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wade jumped from the front court, caught the ball in the air (thus establishing possession in the front court), and then landed in the back court. If he had stepped into the backcourt before he caught the ball, then he would have been fine. But instead, he committed a backcourt violation that wasn't called.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incorrect, as applied in the last two minutes or overtime.

To establish a frontcourt or backcourt status, the player has to control the ball. While in mid-air, Wade had dual status. When he gained possession and landed in the backcourt, it was considered a inbounds into the backcourt.

Excerpt from NBA rulebook:

Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player, or (3) a throw-in in the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are misinterpreting that rule. That rule is talking about situations such as a loose ball that bounces from the front court to the back court. For example, after a jump ball, if a player on one team tips it from their front court to their back court, but never has possession, it is not a back court violation.

"Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position". Wade established possession in front court when he caught the ball.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2004 alcs?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i meant basketball, but i was already owned when someone reminded me of about a month ago [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I thought it was a backcourt violation but I figured it would have been a impossible no-call to make so it must not have been. It must be different from if you advance the ball from backcourt to frontcourt, and pass it back to a player jumping from backcourt to frontcourt, which would be a violation. I guess its not considered possession until the player catches the ball and lands in the under 2 min and OT mark.

Anyone know the last time the home team won every single game in a 7 game basketball series?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:31 PM

Call like that that get missed.

See the Steve Nash play where Luke Walton's foot was out of bounds.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 PM

I'm diying to see both how the Heat and Mavs play in Game 6.
You got to figure they're just gonna swarm Wade 24/7...but he still seems to be getting his points..