Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Too much oop?

Position is overrated in these micro limits, mainly because villains don't know how to bet proportionally to the size of the pot. If I raised pf and only cont' bet the flops I hit, it's profitable to raise QTs in these games, especially because they will often check the flop through or bet tiny when I have a gutshot or a bdfd and two overs, or whatever. They don't punish you optimally, and often don't charge you to draw to whatever you can draw to.

I coach someone in the 5c/10c game, and I've found it hard to stack guys in urp's. While in my game, I'll raise a ton of hands in the SB (any pair, any suited connector such as 54s or 75s, J9s, etc.), in these games, we only raise the better hands that have equity 3-way. And sometimes, QTs wont be one of those hands; it depends on the table. But it's certainly one that you can do.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:15 PM

This thread makes my head hurt.

OP, this hand is played absolutley fine on all streets

Megenoita, sometimes I raise this preflop, sometimes I limp. The difference in EV is tiny and game dependant.

Oh yeah, and don't call Jam passive!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:16 PM

your line is fine, i see no reason why your hand isn't good. a set or two pair is probably going to be raising you on the flop to protect against the flush. i would maybe c/c the river if your hand doesn't improve but a bet here is fine too.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:16 PM

One of a few things normally happens when I raise a hand like that oop:

I hit middle pair on the flop and c-bet and get called, so I go ahead and bet 2/3 pot on the blanky turn and again get called...then I check/fold the river, or he checks behind and I lose to his Kx.

I miss entirely and check and he bets 10-30 cents. So now I've either gotta fold to this drastic underbet, call and maybe be reverse dominated (happens often), or try to make a play against an opponent who isn't going to fold top pair for any amount of money in the world.

Its just not a situation I like putting myself in.

Sure, a lot of the time I'll take it down PF or with a flop c-bet but the times that I don't happen very often, and they aren't fun to deal with. And very rarely I'll flop two pair against top pair or something and win a stack, but I don't think this happens often enough to justify the raise.

Also I don't get the bet tiny when you have a gutshot or whatever, they are calling your tiny bet with even just one over - and then when you check the turn they are often bluff betting, or worse checking through and calling the river bet.

I really don't think your line is right for $10 NL.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:22 PM

Megenoita,
I'm not sure what stakes you play as u make it sound like you play higher. I'm not saying raising QTs out of the SB is a horrible play, but i would love to see a screen shot showing a profit for you in doing this.

TZ
Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 PM

You have near 0 fold equity in this spot at 10NL, and that's the only think that's going to make raising here +EV. You have a hand that's probably not much better than 50:50 against his range, your one-pair hands are suspect and you are OOP. Yes position is more important at mid stakes and you can mix it up more OOP, but it's still important here.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:16 PM

I think raising is fine, and probably is slightly EV if no one ever ever reraises. QTs is a good enough hand to limp and see the pot, so it's probably better to get it in cheap than to raise OOP and risk getting reraised.

I found it interesting in NLTP that Sklansky suggests doing semi-bluff raises with hands that you won't call with, like J7o or something, so that you're gaining pure value with it from stealing, rather than marginally pressing hands like this.