Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Re: I was once a child genius, but now I\'m only above average.

[ QUOTE ]
Tennenbaum : I believe the standard definition disagrees with you there. As far as I know, IQ is a measure of your intelligence (often as a ratio to the persons age). That being said, it is generally accepted that almost all IQ tests suck as a method of measuring someones intelligence, and are much better at measuring how well people do IQ tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

well fine, but the word intelligence could reasonably be defined as ability to learn and retain knowledge
Old 06-17-2006, 07:35 PM

ive never heard of IQ being represented as a ratio to someones age.

I was in gifted classes all through school, scored really well on several tests including military aptitude tests early in high school, and the last IQ test I took which was several years ago placed me at at 131. In areas such as math and logic I can grasp concepts easily, although i still have my retarded moments as seen in some of my previous posts in SSNL, where I think several intelligent people reside regardless of what Mr. Karpinski suggests. Also, I tend to think I am common sense dumb and socially inept.

I dont believe its an issue of brains developing faster, I tend to agree with Tennenbaum, about people with great minds letting it go to waste.

One thing that we all fail to realize is that by the time we are in our early 20s we start losing brain cells at an increased rate, making it harder and harder to learn as we get older. This is one of the reasons it so much easier to teach young kids foreign languages that it is to teach a 30 year old account executive.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Public school.

Standard

http://www.freedomainradio.com/Traff...ols_part_1.mp3
..and listen to the remaining three parts if you like
Old 06-17-2006, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was a genius when i was a child...then I got a 30 on my ACT...then I quit college...now I do nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, isn't the max score a 36?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but a 30 isn't stellar.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a genius when i was a child...then I got a 30 on my ACT...then I quit college...now I do nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - this is exactly my story.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Specializing to academic pursuits:

To be brilliant as a child you have to be born brilliant.

To be brilliant as an adult you have to be born brilliant and put in years of hard work.

Since most gifted kids are not highly motivated by the time they get to 18 or so,
# gifted kids >> # brilliant adults.

Also the brilliant adults I know don't have time to make posts on sites like 2+2, so you should expect selection bias in the responses.

See this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052...e&n=283155
Old 06-17-2006, 07:52 PM

I got an OOT-like IQ score, got a 35 on the ACT, and now im in college hating what I do, with a [censored] GPA trying to get into law school
Old 06-17-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems that a good 85% of parents these days have "advanced" children. figure that one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Down here in Houston we have programs in school called "GT" (Gifted and Talented). WTF?

Seems like everyone takes at least one GT class. It's laughable how badly they try to make these kids feel special. I heard they dont keep score in some little league baseball and soccer games now because it's "Not about winning, but aobut having fun".

Yeah. Good luck out in the jungle, you GTers!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 PM

I was one of the smartest kids in elementary school. Always on the honour roll, straight A's...etc... Then I went to a private (religious) high school and they broke my spirit. They made me hate school and I no longer had the motivation to try.

I have a half-decent job now, but I probably could have accomplished more if I'd applied myself in high school and university.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 PM

I got a 560 on the math section of the SAT when I was in 6th grade, but I spent a lot of time playing math games with my dad and classmates and stuff. I still score consitantly in the top 5% of any test I take, but its not always in the top 1% like I used to do up until I was 14 or so.

It is sometimes kinda depresing for me. I don't understand it either, I spent a lot of High school doing non academic activities (partying and such). There were kids that always had their nose in an academic type book, I'm sure that helped them do better at standardized tests.

I wish I got into a better college, but I think if you are smart and dedicated+live in a decent country, you can still do whatever you want.