Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller DVD, Slotboom DVD, Holdem on the come reviews?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you can try another example? It would bee a good exercise for you.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care who ya are...that's funny!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a failure at spelling & typing, but not a failure at life. I've learned to accept it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 PM

Funny, I didn't notice the typo until you pointed it out. I was just laughing at the comment that another example would be good exercise.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:01 PM

For you entertainment, I'll browse the book and see what I can find.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 PM

i highly recommend Holdem on the Come. While not groundbreaking, I think you do yourself a disservice by not adding it to your poker library.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For you entertainment, I'll browse the book and see what I can find.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the spirit!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 06:36 PM

And now, for your reading and ridiculing pleasure, the 2+2 Books and Publications Forum brings you....

<u>Hold'em on the Come</u> p. 25-28 (summarised)

Say you have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on a Flop of 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Any Club on the Turn or River will make your Flush. Since the board isn't paired, a Full house or Four of a Kind isn't possible. Therefore, a Flush is the best possible hand. And since you have the Ace of Clubs your Flush is the Nuts. So of the nine unseen Clubs still in the deck (thirteen total Clubs, minus the two in your hand &amp; the two on the board) all nine of them are live and can be counted as "full" outs.

It is also possible that if an Ace or King falls you could win with Top Pair, Top Kicker. That would seem to add six more outs, giving you 15 total. However, if an Ace does fall, anyone with AA or A8 (or for that matter 88) has you beat. So you could make your pair and still loose. If you estimate that an Ace or King will only give you the win 50% of the time (and the author stresses that an unscientific estimation is the best you can do) then your six additional outs are really only worth three outs (fifty percent of six) for a total of 12 outs. Twelve outs means we are roughly 3:1 to improve on either the Turn or the River.

Now say you're playing $5/$10, the pot is $25 and it is $5 to you to continue. The pot is offering you 5:1 and your odds to improve are 3:1. This is an easy call. But what if there was $25 in the pot and someone ahead of you had raised after the Flop? There's still $25 in the pot, but now it cost you $10 to call. That's only 2.5:1 pot odds when your odds to improve are 3:1. Should you fold? Pot Odds seem to say so.

However, what about the guy who bet $5 before the raise? If you call, it's likely that he will also call the raise. That implies there will be $30 of other people's money in the pot vs. your $10 when the Turn card is delt, making your call profitable.

But what if you call the initial raise and someone after you re-raises? That will be $15 total to you to see the Turn and the pot will have to offer you $45 to make your call profitable. The initial bettor may fold if it's two bets back to him. If the Botton re-raises and the initial bettor folds, should you fold as well? Sounds like your good bet has turned back into a bad one if you are reraised.

Then again, if you make your Flush on the Turn you will likely extract several bets from both the raisor and the re-raisor by the end of the hand. This money you expect to win by the time the hand is over makes it profitable to call a Flop raise, even if you expect to be re-raised.

Thank you. Try the shrimp and remember to tip your waiter.

Goodnight Everyone!
Old 06-17-2006, 06:56 PM

AWesome. I just got my copy (package) off the front porch a little bit ago, I left on page 23 ( I'm not joking ) to run errands and now 2+2, a Pacifico, and waiting on my wife to bring home hot wings. Nice preview. And my attention span can handle the 2 page wait. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Good cards to you.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:35 AM

can a nl player use these?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:09 AM

according to rolf thru an email from him, the dvd's are for both limit and no limit.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:01 PM

im ment eds dvds