Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: 5/10 AQs - use of relative position

I think that I might threebet the flop, facing UTG with two bets on the flop, is the same as getting him to call one on the turn.

The turn is fine, you did get one more bet out of UTG.

Whenever I make runner runner flush headsup, I checkraise. With this board, I don't think you have a chance of getting raised when you donk the river, and I would expect an aggressive opponent to continue betting the river, so I think you missed out on an opportunity to win one more bet.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:53 PM

that river is made to be sexied.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:24 PM

So what is the rationalle behind a river C/R? What % of the time are we supposedly ahead on the river?

Perhaps I'm playing a bit too weak-tight? . . . I would check call before I C/R this river
Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is the rationalle behind a river C/R? What % of the time are we supposedly ahead on the river?

Perhaps I'm playing a bit too weak-tight? . . . I would check call before I C/R this river

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think that you see we have the nut flush on the river.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 PM

I'm not sure if I like the S+G on the turn, although I understand your rationale, since UTG is likely to have a hand we have dominated at this point.

I think that since you hit the backdoored the flush, this would be a good time to C/R, unless you think the CO will raise again, allowing you to bet/3-bet. I think the CO will definitely call your bet, and he may raise it, and I definitely see him calling a C/R, since he raised the turn even after UTG called. Since he raised the turn with two in, I think that I like your line, since you may have the chance to 3-bet this, given all the strength he has represented thus far.

Did you think about 3-betting PF to try to push UTG out of the hand and get more dead money in? Do you know what the CO will raise with PF in his position? I certainly don't mind a call, as I rarely 3-bet with AQs OOP PF.

Wow, that was long, sorry to be so verbose.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:49 PM

3-betting preflop is also an option, but I often just call from BB because of position and for deception.

I don't know if I donk that turn, I might just check/call. I don't think you have fold equity from a donk. Why'd you like the turn donk?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 PM

I disagree with your rationale for keeping UTG in the pot. Here is my reasoning for a check-raise:

UTG is pretty loose and may have something like a T9s. If he does have a 9 in his hand he probably has 5 outs to beat you on the flop. His call of your single bet is a bit loose (not counting the CO raise) but isn't horrible: he would be getting 7.4 to 1 not including implied odds if he hits his hand.

On the other hand if you check-raise cold-calling two bets would be a big mistake by UTG (less than 5 to 1). A check-raise would either protect your hand by getting UTG to fold or it would cause him to make a mistake by calling. You benifit either way.

TPGK is not a monster. You are probably best at this point but I think that you should try to protect your hand against draws.

Everyone please let me know if I am off base here.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with your rationale for keeping UTG in the pot. Here is my reasoning for a check-raise:

UTG is pretty loose and may have something like a T9s. If he does have a 9 in his hand he probably has 5 outs to beat you on the flop. His call of your single bet is a bit loose (not counting the CO raise) but isn't horrible: he would be getting 7.4 to 1 not including implied odds if he hits his hand.

On the other hand if you check-raise cold-calling two bets would be a big mistake by UTG (less than 5 to 1). A check-raise would either protect your hand by getting UTG to fold or it would cause him to make a mistake by calling. You benifit either way.

TPGK is not a monster. You are probably best at this point but I think that you should try to protect your hand against draws.

Everyone please let me know if I am off base here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree for the most part with this. If you bet out then giving UTG 7.5:1 odds allows him with to call profitably if he paired any of his cards. I'd check-raise here to cut his odds in half, that way its great for you if he folds OR calls.

Also, if you bet out and he calls, I don't see any point in 3 betting the flop because it accomplishes very little. Sugar Push is correct in that your hand is not a monster. 3 betting the flop only bloats the pot and allows people to call profitably on the turn. If you had a stronger hand then i think the argument for 3-betting would be stronger.

The way the hand was played I call the flop and check-raise the turn.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 AM

Grunch

I 3 bet preflop and 3 bet flop. Hand plays differently after that. Is villain a thinking player? You may want to c/r this river instead.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:01 PM

WOW! You are right!! I totally missed that!!! OMG yes C/R for sure!!