Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Re: steal with BB sitting out?

[ QUOTE ]
If we think that SB will push over our std raise, then why not std raise? If we push it is true that we will win the pot uncontested more often, but the times when SB wakes up with 44, A5+ we're going to be > 2:1 dog. OTOH if we make the standard raise, we might get SB to push with Kx, Qx, and other hands that we are ahead of and allow us to win an even bigger pot. Are we playing to survive or to win? (I'd like to see some EV math on this but I'm too lazy to run it myself.)

Also, I'll throw out one of my favorite plays here. When there is a dead BB I love to limp-reraise because you know that somebody in LP is going to put in a 4-5x raise (often with trash) and you can trap with AA/KK or give the appearance of trapping with a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SB first has to call with A5 or 44 which is one of the reasons we push. You have the figure the SB is only calling A9+ and 55+ and I think those ranges are loose. Also do we really want to face a reraise from Kx or Qx or really any 2 cards for that matter where A4 is only a 55/45 favorite?

I'd rather just push here since we are not likely to be a big favorite against any hand.

Also I don't push this with the BB in the hand.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: steal with BB sitting out?

Raise to 600, call a push from sb. Like don said, if hes got a big hand hes calling anyway, let him steal with air if he wants.

Btw there are people here folding Ax on the button here IF the bb is sitting in? Thats a crazy fold and i hate stealing!