Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Buying first set of golf clubs

I've played around 20 rounds of golf in my life but always used junky passed down clubs or borrowed from the friend I was playing with. Now I'm looking to purchase my first set but am not really sure what to look for.
Will spending more money on a quality set matter for a beginner?
Is it something that can be purchased over the internet or should I visit a proshop/specialty store to make sure length/feel is fine?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Buying first set of golf clubs

You'll need to get fitted for lie, length, correct shaft stiffness etc. Kinda depends on how much you're getting into it. After 20 rounds, I'd say get a regular used set then after 20 rounds reevaluate what kind of player you want to be and then get fitted. If you get into golf you'll probably end up being a club whore and having several sets, several drivers, several wedges and putters and then after blowing all that money you'll realize it's not the equipment.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 PM

Get fitted but just get some cheapo set and then spend money you saved on lessons. Well it depends if you wanna get good or not. If you just wanna bs around with your buddies on Sat. afternoon once a week then skip the lessons.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:50 PM

only my opinion, but I play off 10, and still have the irons I bought on special 10 years ago, and the Taylormade R7 and lobwedge I bought on ebay last year.
Strongly suggest you try out clubs till you find a brand you like in the proshop, then buy 2nd hand on ebay for a fraction of the price. (buy last years model that has been traded in by some attention whore who has upgraded after 20 rounds) Spend the money saved on balls and lessons, and trade up when you get serious
Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 PM

Get fitted for a set of Ping irons.

www.ping.com

Check the G5
Old 06-14-2006, 11:38 PM

I absolutely love my Mizuno's. I bought them at the end of the year and got them for $500.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 AM

I'd go to your local golf specialty shop and buy a starter set from them. That way you won't be buying complete trash, and you'll have established a relationship with a company that sooner or later will be important to you if you decide that golf is your passion. You won't pay any more buying from them because they know they have to compete with all the Walmarts and Dicks in this particular arena. You may be able to trade your starter set in on a better set when you're ready as long as you bought it there.

As far as long term goes, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than Ping for fit, quality, and price. I have a set of Ping irons that I bought 5-6 years ago and I wouldn't dream of using anything else.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:50 PM

Find a driving range with a big pro shop that has a nice selection of used clubs. Try out as many as you need for as long as you need. Possibly get a lesson before you go so your swing isnt too terrible.

About 7 years ago, I was in your position and I got a set of used Callaway's (the ones with the red backs). I paid about 200 for 2 iron through sand, plus 100 for a used Callaway driver and 75 for a used tightlies fairway wood. Id be honored if you followed my footsteps.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:11 PM

dirt,

The single most important thing you can do for your game is get fitted for clubs. I'm not referring to having clubs specifically adjusted for you. I'm talking about going to a good golf store with a wide selection, identifying several sets (4-7) of irons (and/or woods depending on what you're buying, what you need) within your price range, and identifying which of those sets fits your swing the best.

A good golf store should have a hitting area where they can measure your swing speed (to provide you with the correct shaft thickness), measure where you're hitting the ball on the club face (to determine the clubhead size to account for off-center hits) and measure path of your swing and how/where the sole of the club is impacting the ground (to determine the correct lie, shaft length for your height, swing type).

You should most certainly be able to find a great stock set, right off the shelf that fits your body and your swing without having to pay a fortune.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<snip>...and then after blowing all that money you'll realize it's not the equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

HERETIC!!! BURN HIM!!!