Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Not a TPTK hand

Just for my own education...could you also c/r the flop here? The pot isn't big and while you do have a tp the kicker is fairly weak. Do you really want a lot of people sticking around for the turn? I understand the c/r turn and agree with with way it was played however.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
these types of flops, i always lead

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?i lead because i think it helps me know where i stand. when i lead, i assume others will put me on a 10 (and maybe a weak kicker because of my blind position). now, depending how they play most likely knowing (or having a good guess as to) what i have, i can make better decisions. if i c/c the flop, who knows what they think i have and decisions (for me) become harder to make....

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-14-2006, 02:05 PM

I really like it. C/R the flop won't work, since there are already two callers, but the turn is perfect. I think the ace is a good card, if the button had a bigger T, you now split instead of lose, and I can't see him folding anything on the river that would beat you.

I never lead flops like this, I always take a "check, and see what happens line."

Isn't this a clear scenario of when "betting will not protect your hand?"
Old 06-14-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these types of flops, i always lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

you shouldn't "always" do anything in these spots. in actuality the thing about these types of situations is it is usually close between betting, checking and calling, and check/folding. it is dependent on how you view those you are with. they are close spots and usually not straightforward.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:11 PM

I think your best option on the turn is checkraise or fold and to be honest, it remains to be seen to me whether the pot is big enough for checkraise to be the right choice. It'c lose. I guess i like it.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would lead the river. the ace is a good scare card and given your prior action you may fold a split. that said, he sure does have calling station stats so you may be ahead of his 77 or 99 anyway. it's thin, but i think there is value in it if you consider the chance he may fold and the fact that you might be ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think OP played it perfectly; following the action makes it clear that the turn C/R was the way to go. The river is debatable. on that note, jameser makes a great point here, I think, regarding button's 77 or 99. I doubt this villain is folding a split (I doubt this villain folds) but I do think you see a middle pair here often enough to warrant a bet.

Also, excellent table selection (looks like I might have to play party again [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])
Old 06-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Bah, you almost played it beautifully imo...

bet that river for the same reason jameser talked about
Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont like b/f because of buttons stats. I favour c/c.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have it backwards. button is not raising a worse hand if you bet. EASY fold against that loosepassive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was more meaning that I dont like a bet on the river. To make myself clear, there are 3 lines b/f, c/c and c/f. I prefer the second line

[/ QUOTE ]

let me make myself clear, the loose-passive will usually NOT bet any hand that you beat. if you call a bet from the LP you will be losing, well, almost always. by betting you get value from the hands he will check behind(i.e. those you beat)and by c/calling you put money in almost only as a loser. see why betting is better; check folding may be best, but c/c is the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm feels like a need brainsurgery. What was I thinking w b/f. Well thx thejameser for this enlightenment [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2006, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont like b/f because of buttons stats. I favour c/c.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have it backwards. button is not raising a worse hand if you bet. EASY fold against that loosepassive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was more meaning that I dont like a bet on the river. To make myself clear, there are 3 lines b/f, c/c and c/f. I prefer the second line

[/ QUOTE ]

let me make myself clear, the loose-passive will usually NOT bet any hand that you beat. if you call a bet from the LP you will be losing, well, almost always. by betting you get value from the hands he will check behind(i.e. those you beat)and by c/calling you put money in almost only as a loser. see why betting is better; check folding may be best, but c/c is the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm feels like a need brainsurgery. What was I thinking w b/f. Well thx thejameser for this enlightenment [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I meant c/c ofc. It was late night in Sweden when I wrote it.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Yea, after the hand I thought the same thing that everyone else has said. Bet/fold the river. I knew I should of but it was one of those spur of the moment "ace hit, that sucks" meneuvers.... im good for one of those every once in a while.

FWIW, villan showed A4o and MHING. Results aside, I believe checking this river is -EV in this situation. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Haupt_234