Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Noob Stud 8 Question

In a loose, passive, low-limit S8 game (like PP 1/2), which of the following starting hands are playable?:

(i) 239 (suited)
(ii) 789 (rainbow)
(iii) 10JQ (rainbow)

Assuming there will be several limpers, and that the pot is unlikely to be raised. Todd Brunson doesnt touch on any of these hands in SS2, so I'm confused about how to play them.

Thanks,
BOON
Old 06-14-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Noob Stud 8 Question

If I'm not mistaken, PP has a relatively high ante at $1/2 and below so you might need to stretch your stating hand requirements a little bit.

At any rate, 239 suited is a hand I'll usually see 4th with if it's not raised and I fold 4th if I don't catch my suit again or a good baby card (also dependent on the action and other low boards).

789 rainbow is pretty bad, but if you want to play it, make sure your straight cards are live and it helps if your door card is the 7 or 8.

TJQ rainbow sucks. Muck it.

Ray Zee's book discusses playable starting hands pretty well. It's worth picking up, especially if you have any interest in Omaha/8 as well.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:26 PM

the only one i would consider playing is (i) and i would only play it if:

1. my cards were extremely live (not a lot of low cards out and none or at most 1 of my suit out)
2. the pot is going to be contested multi-way and i can see 4th street for just the bring-in (i.e., i am in very late position relative to the bring-in)

note that even if you catch "good" (say an offsuit wheel card), you oftentimes still have to fold on 4th st

mike
Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 PM

as a corollary to what was stated above, if you are playing the stars 1/2 instead, where the ante is just a dime (rather than the quarter on party), i would not play any of those hands
Old 06-15-2006, 12:21 AM

Definitely get Ray Zee's book. I will play 932 s00ted if no more than one of my suit is out and it's no more than one bet. Three-straights bigger than 876 are garbage, although I think Todd makes a case for 987 with two suited. I still muck it. QJT is instant death.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:31 PM

I think todd said 987 was a special case when you are the bring-in against all high boards.