Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: GOSSIP ON IVEY\'S TRUE CASHGAME EARNINGS

Me thinks your sarcasm detector is broken.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard $45 million was rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you projecting Dave?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 05:44 PM

4000/hr is extemely modest. I would think more in the 10-12K range
Old 06-14-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4000/hr is extemely modest. I would think more in the 10-12K range

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think he is beating the game for somewhere between 5 and 10 big bets an hour? You do know he mostly plays limit games right?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 PM

Isn't it 4k/8k blinds? 10k/12k is ~1.5 bb/hr which isn't that unreasonable but pretty unreasonable if it's just the big game all the time. I think I read somewhere than John Juanda who isn't nearly as good was averaging about 1bb/hr at the smaller "big games." And Phil is known as one of the better players in cash, right?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:41 PM

im sure he tells somebody he plays with occassionally how much he makes in a year, makes PERFECT sense
Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 PM

nation,

So you are saying, if Phil plays 20 days per month, 240 days, he's averaging $270k per session. Think about how big the big games are and how much of an edge the best player has in them and how much sense that claim makes.

Threads like this are a perfect example of why it's so easy to make money at poker.

If that $65M includes dividends + value of equity compenstaion from Full Tilt, that's a whole different thing and would not surprise me at all.

Annie Duke and Phil Hellmuth, for example, have equity stakes in UB that will likely dwarf anything they ever make from playing poker.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it 4k/8k blinds? 10k/12k is ~1.5 bb/hr which isn't that unreasonable but pretty unreasonable if it's just the big game all the time. I think I read somewhere than John Juanda who isn't nearly as good was averaging about 1bb/hr at the smaller "big games." And Phil is known as one of the better players in cash, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

How often is the big game 4k/8k? Isn't he playing 1k/2k most of the time? Was it Sklansky or Lederer who said no-one could beat the big game for more than 1/2(ish) BB an hour?

1/2BB at $4/$8k, 50 hours a week is $10.4M a year. And it's impossible to play 50 hours a week for 52 weeks at $4k/$8k and account for vacations, travel, tournaments, chinese poker, occasional meetings with his wife, sleeping every odd day, the many times when the biggest game is only $1k/$2k, etc...

Even with tournaments, I'd guess he's doing about $10-$15M a year from playing poker (not counting Beal, which was shared with the corporation anyways). With endorsements, put him around $20M total.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The big game doesn't play 4/8 every day, he also commonly plays 1k/2k, and 2k/4k. He also gambles on many other things that does not include poker.

This just proves how the imagination has run wild for far too many poker players. People hear a sound bite and they instantly assume everything they know is 100% fact. Research.... its never hard to find out the truth if you know where to look.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:06 PM

TT, El D,

Why are you guys taking away the fun from NVG? My post clearly said GOSSIP. Who said I believed it? That's what the guy said, and I thought it was funny and assumed it'd be a great thread for NVG.