Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Are you kidding me????

Ok....so I'm a little confused. I feel like I am a pretty solid poker player. Not amazing, but definitely good enough to make money consistently. I'm new to this site as you can tell by my number of posts and I feel like it has helped me improve my game tremendously. Now, I'm not trying to boost my ego or anything, but I see a lot of posts of hands taken out of SNGs with players asking advice on what they should have done. Fairly often.....the answer to these questions are beyond obvious...like not even close (a clear fold or all-in). I'm not going to quote anyone's post for obvious reasons, but I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me.

I completely understand that this site is composed of poker players of all abilities (fish to pros), so you would expect questions like this to arise. But my problem is....I take a look at the beginning of the HH and I see that its a $50-200 SNG. Then my brain starts to hurt. Now, I'm not really working with any kind of bankroll online so I pretty much stick to the low limit SNGs (6.50s and 15s). I've occasionally dabbled in the 50s without a proper bankroll which is probably why I'm back at the lower limits.

So I guess my question is....if there are people on this site making a concerted effort to get better, posting somewhat ridiculous questions, and they are playing (winning? eh) at those higher stakes, is bankroll the only factor? How much stiffer is the competition at the higher levels? I'm wondering if I can consistently win at the lower levels, is a variance cushion the only thing stopping me from moving up? Now I don't mean up to the $500 level, but at least to the $25 and $50.

I'm not trying to bust anyones balls. Just looking for some thoughts on my observations. Am I giving these posters too much credit assuming they are winning consistently? Too little credit because I'm judging from such a small sample size of their overall play? I don't know.....any comments would be appreciated.

Edit: If this is the wrong forum.....lemme know
Old 06-14-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Are you kidding me????

You realize that there is no way for anyone to answer your question unless you give some examples.

There are 2 possibilities. Either the hands are as stupidly simple as you say they are, or you are missing some subtleties in SnG play that make the hands interesting. I have no way of judging one way or the other except to say that I haven't noticed a whole lot of 50+ buyin hands being extremely obvious.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:05 PM

Winning players at high stakes can be very good in some areas and very bad in some areas and still win money. Plus you should post questions in your weak area so you are seeing their play at the worst.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:10 PM

I believe this is one of the reasons there has been a push to split the forum into high & low stakes forums.

The problem is that while these may be easy calls for you and others they may not be to the players involved in the hand.

These people need help to!

But I agree it does get rather tedious looking at some of the lower limit hands (although I still probably should...)
which is why I strongly back the idea of splitting the forums.

I mean...why can limit and NL be split into High/Med/Low stakes and we cant? I'm jealous!

CM
Old 06-14-2006, 03:15 PM

A lot of the time, people choose their worst hands from their session that they feel they played poorly. The decisions to these hands can sometimes be "obvious". I would not be so quick to judge anyone by the material they post....
Old 06-14-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean...why can limit and NL be split into High/Med/Low stakes and we cant? I'm jealous!

CM

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you God damn start that one again!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:50 PM

Snakekilla is right. These hands represent the ones where I our insinct at THAT EXACT MOMENT was wrong or likely wrong or confusing. Please try to remember that most of these decisions are made in less than a minute and many of us 4-6-8 table so we are making decisions under some stress.

YOU on the other hand are labeling these decisions as "obvious" and have the benefit of viewing them on 2+2 when the heat is not on.

You really shouldn't cast any stones until you've been around a little while. Just my opinion. Remember that you can crush the 6.50s for a while but one day you will need help crushing the $55's and you're going to come here for that help. And you might not want to avoid biting the hand that feeds you.

Straight Flushes,

SAM
Old 06-14-2006, 05:14 PM

What's your Stars screen name?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM

Ok.....thank you all for responding. You made some very good points. Again....I really wasn't trying to put anyone down or "bite the hand that feeds me". This forum and site have helped me improve my game a ton and I'm very thankful for that. I suppose this forum really isn't meant for posting hands where you play well and take down a nice pot, its for when you second guess yourself or need other opinions of what you did/should have done.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 PM

Some people have very strong parts of their game and other areas they need to work on. What may seem obvious to you may not be to me and I play $114s. However, many hands that may seem obvious to me may not seem obvious to you. We all have different experiences. As well, higher stakes SNGs play a lot different than lower stakes. Yes, they're much harder by the way.

Ryan