Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Starting pitchers/ RA

How much effect does a starting pitcher have on runs allowed?

So I was doing some homework on tonight's game, BAL v TOR. In my calculations I have BAL at +291 and the line is +105 so apparently my line was way off, then I find out TOR's pitcher has a pathetic ERA of 10.29 so it must mean something to the line.. any info on the topic is appreicated, ty.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Starting pitchers/ RA

I'd say about 70% goes into the lines. However, I think it is lower then that depending on pitchers. If Halladay is pitching there probably right since he's so good and others etc... But with worse pitchers I think there is a lot to do w/ how good other team hits, home plate ump, elements, and bullpen plays a role in making the line.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:16 PM

Downs is starting for Tor tonight. He's been in the bullpen where he hasn't been doing much good. He was a starter last year, and did poorly the first part of the season, but then came on later in the season and was quite respectable (using my ratings, at least.).

I think starting pitching is very important in making a line for MLB. I use it as the main thing, and I like to find pitchers who typically go 6 innings or more, and give up few HRs, and have a strikeout ratio of K's to innings approaching 1.0 (few go over that, though there are a couple around.) WHIP is also a stat I use. Covers.com has a nice sheet I use every day as my worksheet (hit the tab for "MLB" and the bottom item is called "Print Sheet").

I also look at the bullpens and like to see that none of their best set-ups or closers have been overworked in the last day or two. As for offense, there are a lot of ways to judge that, and I am sure you can find a good way.

So I make a line and then compare it to the line on one of the internet sites, and choose the overlays to bet on. Then I shop for the best line and make my bets.

Hope this is of some help. There are a lot of ways to do this work, and others may suggest some ways for you to proceed, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bill c
Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

also remember that how the pitcher matches up against the lineup is important. david sklansky gave an example of how bill russell's value was lower against a team with a low-scoring center. similarly, eric milton's value will be lower when he faces a homer-happy squad, and daniel cabrera's will be lower when he faces a lineup with good pitch selection. of course, it's up to you to judge whether this is already built into the line.