Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: ATTN: UNINSURED MOTORISTS

Black Aces 518:

At least she got hit with something. I got hit by a woman who did $6000 in damage to my car. She hit me broadside coming out of an alley, peeked in the car to see that I was alive and then got back in her car and tore off. I got her license plate number, I made a police report, I had 3 eye-witnesses, and I've even seen her car parked in the area of the accident and reported it. The police know who she is and where she lives, but as far as I know, nothing has happened to her. I think my insurance company will report her to their collections agency, but I may never recoup my deductible and the cost of the rental car. It really pisses me off.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a really simple law that would fix a lot of the uninsured motorist problems. If you are hit by someone without insurance, and their car isn't totalled, and they can't pay for your damages, you get their car. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

or they become your butler
Old 06-13-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PUNCH HER

[/ QUOTE ]

There, that's better.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Mermade, I'm afraid that would have induced homicidal rage in me. AGH. [censored] people, seriously.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Honestly- it could have been a lot worse- i.e.- you end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life. Everyone should really consider maxing out their Uninsured/Underinsured motorists coverage (if available-it's state dependent). Here in NY- you can get $500K on your personal auto policy. The cost is only a little more than the minimum that the state requires you to carry ($25K). It won't help you with damages to your car, but it will help you & your family if you are serverely hurt or killed in an auto accident.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:54 AM

Probably the sam e type of idiot who breaks the law by driving 80mph on a 65mph freeway, wrecks into a girl that has to choose between feeding her kids or vehicle insurance, obeying the speed limit on her way to her $5.50/hr job. Just because you have auto insurance doesn't mean you are allowed to drive like an AHOLE because legally your covered. Add speeding to the list of 1 yr minimum sentences. AHOLES that consume and waste gas by driving over the speedlimit thus creating dangerous situations for all of us unlicensed and uninsured drivers, as well as the general law abiding public.

DUI
Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably the sam e type of idiot who breaks the law by driving 80mph on a 65mph freeway, wrecks into a girl that has to choose between feeding her kids or vehicle insurance, obeying the speed limit on her way to her $5.50/hr job. Just because you have auto insurance doesn't mean you are allowed to drive like an AHOLE because legally your covered. Add speeding to the list of 1 yr minimum sentences. AHOLES that consume and waste gas by driving over the speedlimit thus creating dangerous situations for all of us unlicensed and uninsured drivers, as well as the general law abiding public.

DUI

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, several points here.

First, its funny to get a lecture on driving from someone whose username is DUI.

Second, speeding can vary greatly depending on the situation. If I am driving 70 mph on an interstate marked at 60 and it's 2:30 AM, I am much less of a hazard than your average jakovasaur yammering on the cell phone, or eating a burger, or putting on makeup, or driving drunk.

I mentioned that excessive speed (I mentioned 25+ mph over, but would be amenable to a percentage basis) should be grounds for the suspension. Reckless drivers suck ass and make things dangerous for everyone else. But going 55 in a 50 shouldn't be a license suspension.

And don't give me the "choose between feeding her kids and buying insurance" BS. She could have chosen to, hmm, not have kids. Or she could choose to not break the law. Take the bus. Walk. Bicycle. Carpool. I shouldn't be punished for everyone else's [censored] decisions.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you OP, and anyone who agrees with him. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BTW, how are there poor people in Texas?

Doesn't Whataburger pay like $11 an hour, and aren't two bedroom apartments a couple miles outside Austin like $500 a month?

Isn't two jobs at $11 an hour...ummmmmm....$440*2 =$880/week *52= ~$45K per year?

HTF are there poor people in Texas?

At least last time I was in Ft. Hood there were like a bazillion fast food places advertising $10-12 an hour between Killeen and Austin.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:59 PM

I agree with those saying penalties are too lax.

In Ohio, anyone under 18 that gets any moving violation has to appear before a judge. I got a speeding ticket, so I went in with like 20 other kids and we went before the judge to learn our fate (I got a fine and a warning).

This one girl that was in front of me had taken her boyfriends's car without permission at a party, then got picked up for driving drunk and without a license. She did not have a license because "the test was too hard." Her penalty? A fine, and she couldn't get a license for 6 months. IMO, way too lax.