FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Player of the Game?
Troy Smith 13 46.43%
Ted Ginn, Jr 14 50.00%
A. J. Hawk 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Re: ***NBA FINALS***

Phoenix - there are about 10 players in this series capable of dominating a game at any given time. Blaming one player for NOT doing it is silly.

what a shock that people are blaming the refs for a loss. OMG the NBA is rigged!!!

Good job tonight by the Heat. This series was rediculously close to being over, and they did what they had to do.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Re: fouls

[ QUOTE ]
The only way the final minutes of this game would have been even remotely justified would be if the refs had given equal assistance to the Mavs. And anyone who watched their 3rd and early 4th quarter tear could tell the Heat were imploding much more than the refs were helping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Early 4th quarter I would have taken a large $$ bet the Heat would lose by 6+. As a Heat fan wow I'm sorry I lost hope. They definitely got some lucky breaks, all around, not just related to officiating. Even Riley admitted it in the postgame interview.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 AM

There were some pretty bad calls. Those calls were not the reason that Wade went nuts (except for a few and-1s that maybe shouldn't have been), or that Haslem played like an absolute warrior, or that Miami out-rebounded the Mavs by 15.

Miami played awesome. The Mavs didn't play well. They were still a Gary Payton jumper (wtf?) and a Dirk missed free throw (wtf?) from sending the game into overtime. Dallas will probably be fine. The Heat were supposed to win this game. It's a stomach punch loss, but a loss I was prepared for before the beginning of the game.

Good game, Heat.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 AM

Unfortunately, the fact that people whine about bad reffing a lot doesn't justify it.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you"
-Kurt Cobain
Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 AM

The problem with us Mark Cubans is that when games are decided by few possessions, as this year's NBA playoffs have often been, the effects of bad reffing get magnified, a lot. I've said for a long time that the majority of games decided by 1 or 2 possessions are essentially luck contests to determine who wins, as there are just too many incorrect calls in every game that the players/coaches have no control over.

What makes it frustrating is that the NBA doesn't give a [censored]. I respect refs for working their tails off (usually), but the fact that the NBA doesn't have, at the very least, some well-paid committee working long hours dedicated solely to researching ways to improve reffing tells a lot about little it cares about their performances.

Basketball refs get little to no respect from owners, players, coaches or fans, to the point that they almost seem like a joke. That the NBA does so little to change it is depressing for everyone involved.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basketball refs get little to no respect from owners, players, coaches or fans, to the point that they almost seem like a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to a few Heat games, and each one at some point the fan chant of "Refs you suck" starts. I could hear it on the TV during tonight's game. Is this a common thing with other teams/arenas?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, the fact that people whine about bad reffing a lot doesn't justify it.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you"
-Kurt Cobain

[/ QUOTE ]

People need to understand that these are humans reffing. Yes it sucks but there will always be mistakes made unless instant replays are instituted for all calls, which is obviously out of the question. It's like taking a bad beat; long run it all works out, you'll get your share of bad calls in your favor. Just stop complaining.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 AM

Mavs fans thinking the NBA is rigged, go to the spursreport.com forums and read how just about every topic has a mention about how the refs just love the Mavs and did everything they could to fix the 2nd round.

Don't be like those guys.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:35 AM

There were some iffy calls against the Mavs but.......

D. Wade won that game. Bottom line.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phoenix - there are about 10 players in this series capable of dominating a game at any given time. Blaming one player for NOT doing it is silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasonable misunderstanding since I quoted myself out of context. That was from a short list I made of things that didn't go the Heat's way in game 1 that, if they had, would have resulted in a Heat win. Game 3 gave some pretty good evidence on that particular point.