Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 10:01 PM

Default KJs - preflop coldcall

MP is about a 16/16 type guy, maybe a little looser. I would've folded preflop without the UTG limper. I decided to cold call because I thought I would have decent equity in a multiway pot but probably not in great shape against this player's MP pfr standards. Maybe this was a clear 3-bet, I dunno.

preflop, flop and turn comments appreciated. (Although try not to focus too much on preflop because I suspect it makes little difference in this spot).

Also, I'd like some river lines if the river is a K, or J.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks
Old 06-13-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Re: KJs - preflop coldcall

Hmmm. Preflop is ok, I think. Especially when you get so much action.

Flop- I dont really like the raise here. Whats your logic? Id say fold here. I like the free card play when you have lots of outs, but I'd say you have 3 for sure clean outs, so why bother? fold.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 PM

you can't really play KJs against a tight player, much less by just calling PF. it's basically dangerous. an occasional raise PF is an interesting play, helping him define his hand (call or cap).

the way you played it, i don't see too many PFR hands that they fold to a flop raise. turn is harmless, but unless they are weak post-flop, i don't think they are folding again.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:48 PM

I like a 3-bet or fold in this situation preflop (I know you said not to say too much on this), mostly I would fold.

The fact that the preflop raiser bet when checked to doesn't say much. However, after simply calling your raise and then checking to you on the turn, combined with his preflop raise (meaning that if he did have a queen it would have a good enough kicker to play aggressively), I can't put him on any queen. Watch out for a spade on the river.

You have induced a bluff by getting your free card, but on the other hand, it's going to be hard to beat any bluff UI (only a lower king, and that seems unlikely) from such a preflop raiser. For this reason, I might also just drop out on the flop.

I would fold unimproved on the river, keeping in mind that UTG could be in this with a pair of nines, or a worse hand that still beats yours.

If a K or J falls, and it's checked to you, I would play even a K or J spade aggressively.

If a K or J falls and UTG bets and MP folds, I would raise, if MP calls or raises, I would fold. If a K or J falls and MP bets, I would just call knowing that he could very well have AK/AJ.