Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: question about \"jamming\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Charlie Parker is an example of someone who had ridiculously complicated and fast solos that were pre-written, but often seemed as if they were being improvised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Bird improvised on the fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had solos that were pre-written as well as solos that weren't pre-written (as did pretty much every jazz musician of the era). How do I know this? Because he plays the same solos in various live versions of studio recorded songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite possible that he repeated certain favorite phrases, recorded and live, but I don't believe for one second that he played entire solos verbatim. Indeed, new CDs are often being released with alternate takes of his recordings precisely because they contain significant and substantial differences.

I have an extensive collection of his recordings and would love it if you identified two recordings that had the same solos.

There simply is no reason Bird would have operated this way. It would have more difficult for him to memorize and recreate an exact solo than simply to improvise.

And your initial suggestion that he could not improvise such complicated solos is totally outlandish.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Me and my Friends Jamming Tonight.

Some good stuff here for being off-the-cuff as it is. Your bass player is very good. I like the way you mix up rhythms and chords in your solos but I think you could take it a little further melodically (although part of this is that the tonal scope of the song isn't that broad).

This is something I suck at BTW in my own improvisation. I don't play piano but I really admire pianists who can just reel off long strings of eighths or sixteenths that are melodically interesting but stay in the pocket.

Overall I like it a lot, I hope you don't mind me throwing in an idea or two

NT
Old 06-13-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some good stuff here for being off-the-cuff as it is. Your bass player is very good. I like the way you mix up rhythms and chords in your solos but I think you could take it a little further melodically (although part of this is that the tonal scope of the song isn't that broad).

This is something I suck at BTW in my own improvisation. I don't play piano but I really admire pianists who can just reel off long strings of eighths or sixteenths that are melodically interesting but stay in the pocket.

Overall I like it a lot, I hope you don't mind me throwing in an idea or two

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, keep em coming. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Charlie Parker is an example of someone who had ridiculously complicated and fast solos that were pre-written, but often seemed as if they were being improvised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Bird improvised on the fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had solos that were pre-written as well as solos that weren't pre-written (as did pretty much every jazz musician of the era). How do I know this? Because he plays the same solos in various live versions of studio recorded songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly believe you have two of the same songs (i.e., same recorded live session) released on different discs. You really haven't listened to much jazz if you think this is the case, or all bebop solos sound the same to you.

Please cite two of his solos that are the same.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:12 PM

Location: I\'m going to have a really long and curious location so that people will have to click on my name to see how it concludes. To anyone reading this- OWNED!

I love it josh. This would be much better though if you organized the chord changes a little. Obviously a lot of talent in the room.

I thought the bass playing was a little messy. He did very little walking and overall didn't keep it together as well as he should have. A lot of people don't understand that a line can sound really hip but at the same time not fulfill it's duty to the band. Then again, I guess if he was just improvising in x key then it was fine. Was it an electic fretless? The tone was good. I always loved upright more. Imo, you learn that it is in high demand in the working world between orchestras and jazz and lessons.

I liked your piano playing a lot. It had a very classical tint to it.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:18 PM

Wow, I really like this. I know next to nothing about music, but this was really cool. ty for sharing.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:19 PM

I cant download the link... Help?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:22 PM

I thought the bass player did a nice job. There are only two melodic instruments in play here, which gives him more leeway, and he was in sync with the drummer. They had a couple of turnovers where they really gelled as he jumped into a different phrase. If anything I thought Josh could have hung back a little more during some of his solos (which nobody ever does for the bass player).

NT
Old 06-13-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant download the link... Help?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hosting this from my home computer and we just had an outage. It should be working now.