Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Flop top set with all one suit....

How do you play this. I just had this hand, and of course lost my whole stack with the top set.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Flop top set with all one suit....

Check/fold. Even if you're ahead now, you usually won't be by the river.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to bet 1/10th the pot on the flop and fold to any resistance 10% of the time. 10% get all the money in with the probable favorite (or, if not, with a lot of outs). 80% of the time I like to just open fold.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM

what..?? am i misreading something? no chasing the full house? i must be misreading something.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Don't listen to these other guys. Just go all-in and hope for the best.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to bet 1/10th the pot on the flop and fold to any resistance 10% of the time. 10% get all the money in with the probable favorite (or, if not, with a lot of outs). 80% of the time I like to just open fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm meter is going crazy.

If you want your question to be taken more seriously, include more details, like stack sizes, number of players in the hand, position, etc. But really, I'm not sure this is a question so much as a bad beat post.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:51 PM

right on. I was just frustrated with the way it played out.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:32 PM

It's tricky to play because you're a made hand with a great drawing hand (35% to make the full house or quads), and you could be playing against a made flush, a four flush or a lower hand like two pair, lower set or pair.

The important parameter is the pot size relative to the stacks. If it's small, you play cautious. You bet something to force out the non-flushes, but not so much that it costs you a lot to fold to a large reraise (which probably means a flush).

If the pot size is large relative to the stacks, you're not afraid of an all-in reraise. With 35% chance of getting a full house, you'll call if it happens. So you make a large bet to force out everything but the flushes, and call a reraise and hope for the best.

Of course, all this depends on the table and players.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM

I agree with Aaron for the most part..despite the call of an allin. If i hit a set on an all suited flop I will lead at it if I get the chance but put up little resistance. I want to see the cards as cheap as possible untill the board pairs, but won't call more than 1/2 the pot to do it and only against 1 opponent. I won't be calling a bet on the turn here. Basically there would be no difference in the way I would play a set here than I would play 2 pair. You still can win a showdown if you can get there cheaply, but if push comes to shove i'm giving it up, I'm probably beat and I don't need to spend any more money on it. Wait till the next set.

Just a side note: some players...when they flop the flush here...will check unless their hand or the board doesn't contain the ace(watch for the smooth call, then take free cards if they check infront of you). They most certainly want to stop the ace from calling. Its a good indicator if they come out stong on the flop, especially if they come back over your raise if you got to act before them. My reasoning is if they had the nuts, why kill the action? (well their preception of you also might have alot to do with betting the nuts into you) However, if you must call their raise(for pot odds, and/or implied odds, and I would never reraise here) and another card of the same suit comes along on the turn, it might do you well to fire at the pot...if you know your opponent well...they might give up a weak flush to a big bet(like if they hit with 47s in the blinds). If you are uncertain when the 4th flush card hits the board and your opponent now checks, it never hurts to check behind him...he may very well fear that his flush has been compromised and check the river too, giving you another chance to represent a better flush or to just take the showdown.

If anyone thinks I'm flawed, please let me know. Its just what I think about here. But I got to say, i've had my set and stack eaten for breakfast more times than I've cracked the made flush by acting too stong on the flop.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:48 PM

If I read your post correctly, you assert that on an all one suit flop someone probably has a flush already and you don't want to be calling any significant bet with your drawing hand, the set. You also seem to assert that if someone shows strength and makes a significant bet, that this player probably has a small flush and you should try to bluff him off it, especially if a 4th suit card comes.

So it seems the only way you can win a show-down with your set is if someone calls your small flop bet, and then you both check it down; or of course unless you fill up and the guy with the flush that you were going to bluff if the board didn't pair will now call a big bet when it does.

No, someone probably does not have a flush. I believe that's true even against a big field, but perhaps someone can do some sims to prove me wrong about that.

No, someone will give you action even when they don't have a flush and cannot beat your set. Yes, you gotta know your player and gotta know the difference between a loose call, say 2nd pair and 5th nut flush draw, a sure A draw, and a sure slow-play made flush call.

No, you don't have a drawing hand unless you are up against a made flush. Your set is a LOT better than the stiff A draw: more outs, a little more likely to win when you make it, more likely to get paid off when you make it, and more likely, a LOT more likely, to win unimproved.

Generally bet the hand weak enough to get some action but strong enough that you can lay it down on the turn vrs a sure made-flush raise. Get a little tricky if you are confident you know where you are at.

- Louie