Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Another 20 stud hand

20 stud live. $3 ante, $5 bring-in, seven players in and it gets folded around to me last to act. I raise with (65)Q. This is the same opponent with the ace showing in the last hand, he's a pretty bad player and is about 50% likely to call third street here, which is more than anyone else in the game, but that still gives me an overlay on any straight steal.

Anyways, he calls. Of importance here: No aces or queens are dead, one five has been folded. On 4th:

Me : (5c6s)Qc Td
Him : (x x )5d Ah

He checks, I check behind. His hand range is extremely wide here, and I caught a decent enough looking card, but I think it's going to cost me too much to get him to fold ace high in this spot, and isn't really worth it.

On 5th, we catch:

Me : (5c6s)Qc Td 6h
Him : (x x )5d Ah 6d

He bets. WTF is my play?

-Michael
Old 06-11-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Another 20 stud hand

Consider folding. You don't mention how many diamonds are out. If he has aces you are in trouble. If he has 4 diamonds, you are not in good shape. Is he bluffing here with his bet? Do you think your hand is strong enough to take this to the river? And remember, he did call your 3rd strt raise. Unless you have only 5 minutes left to live, why not wait for a better spot?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:16 PM

I think I'd give this one up. The pot is very small, and it's probably going to cost you two or three bets to see this one through. There isn't much you can catch to make you really like your hand. There's no reason the other guy can't have an Ace in the hole. Or a Six for that matter.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:47 PM

The jig is pretty much up on 4th when he catches an ace (a likely card for him to defend the BI with). He could also have 4's, any pocket pair or something like KJ down.

I wouldn't fault you too much for betting 4th though since it will make the hand easier to play and possibly allow you to win the hand on 5th if you catch something convincing or he has jack crap and was just trying to improve by 5th.

The prob with checking 4th is he will lead anything on 5th leaving you in an expensive guessing game. As played, I'm going to let it go - the pot is small and you're likely beaten. Even if not, he could always catch something to beat you...I'm done with the hand as you played it.

Jeff
Old 06-12-2006, 02:32 AM

This hand was played weak tight and I doubt the OP would admit it.

You represented a hand on a steal and now, at the first whiff of possible strength against, you folded your tent on 4th and wonder what to do on 5th. Seriously weak play. You're suppossed to bet 4th because it makes this question that much easier to answer.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:41 AM

You just have to pick a line and stick with it. Raising his bringin, then checking behind isn't good under any circumstances. If the guy's that much of a calling station, then just call the bringin and play poker against him.

I don't at all mind the bringin raise (and my likely course of action as well), but you've got to play it like you mean it. Follow through with a bet if you raise his bringin.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM

"This hand was played weak tight and I doubt the OP would admit it."

If there's some sort of problem, maybe you should handle it in a PM rather than dropping some passive-aggressive insults here and there. Your posts are encouraged, but you have no justification for insinuating whether or not I would admit something that you think is obvious, and I haven't done anything in my posting history to warrant this callout, which as best as I can tell should be reserved for someone who makes posts to demonstrate how good he is and to show up other posters who disagree. I guess now if you ever meet me in person you'll beat me up, too.

-Michael
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"This hand was played weak tight and I doubt the OP would admit it."

If there's some sort of problem, maybe you should handle it in a PM rather than dropping some passive-aggressive insults here and there. Your posts are encouraged, but you have no justification for insinuating whether or not I would admit something that you think is obvious, and I haven't done anything in my posting history to warrant this callout, which as best as I can tell should be reserved for someone who makes posts to demonstrate how good he is and to show up other posters who disagree. I guess now if you ever meet me in person you'll beat me up, too.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I smell a heads up challenge coming up soon?

FWIW, I have no problem giving up on a steal gone bad. Your opponent is beating you showing on fourth, and there's no sense in bluffing against someone that can't be bluffed. Isn't it smart to check behind and TAKE a FREE CARD, rather than continuing to fire bullets on 4th and 5th just wasting $60?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:40 PM

I guess you're right. Nice post.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Anyways, as for results here, I play very bad because I called 5th street with my pair of 6s. We blanked off 6th, my opponent checked, I bet, he called. The river went check-check and my opponent turned over aces but also the K3 of diamonds in the hole.

-Michael