Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Weak KK fold or standard play?

50NL at Full Tilt. Villian has $65, I have $56. Villian has not seemed to get out of hand, but also has not shown any tricks. My image is tight assuming he's paying attention.

One fold, Villian limps, I make a PSB with KK, fold around to villian who calls.

Flop comes 8 9 J of spades. I don't have a spade. $5 in the pot. Villain pots it with a $5 bet, I make it $17, he pushes and I fold.

Comments on all streets welcome. My thinking on the raise was basically to find out where I was at. I think I did, so I folded. Weak?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Weak KK fold or standard play?

That board is way ugly. I think you played this fine.

This is an easy call if you have the Ks though right?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:17 PM

I hate the raise. He's pushing with a lot of hands you're 50/50 with as well as the ones you're behind
Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 PM

bnorthro: Yes, I'm probably calling with the Ks but I'm also not doing it happily.

dbitel: Do you advocate a call on the flop, then? And what's your line if the turn comes blank and he makes another PSB? My reluctance to call comes because I don't think I can get away from a PSB on a blank (and spadeless) turn, so if I'm putting the money in I'd rather do it aggressively on the flop knowing that I'll fold to the push.

Maybe my thinking is off?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:56 PM

Yeh I don't like the raise. Biger than it needed to be too. I know it doesn't seem like much but putting in an extra few $'s each hand will cut a fair bit off your profits.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bnorthro: Yes, I'm probably calling with the Ks but I'm also not doing it happily.

dbitel: Do you advocate a call on the flop, then? And what's your line if the turn comes blank and he makes another PSB? My reluctance to call comes because I don't think I can get away from a PSB on a blank (and spadeless) turn, so if I'm putting the money in I'd rather do it aggressively on the flop knowing that I'll fold to the push.

Maybe my thinking is off?

[/ QUOTE ]

look, the thing is that he lead into you. Telling me that his range is: air/set/2pair/strt/flush/Pair+NFD, with the NFD making up a big part of his range. Now the only hand in his range really that he's folding is pure air, anything else, he's pushing. So the raise just makes you lose loads really as you're never calling a push, and he's pushing nearly all the time. Now is a fold actually that bad? I really don't think so, I mean, he's just lead into you on the worst board of all time, folding might seem weak, but its not actually THAT bad. The other thing you can do is call and decided on the turn by his size/time of bet and decide what to do
Old 06-12-2006, 05:11 PM

I think folding is extremely weak here, and raising is pretty bad too. I call, see what the turn brings, then reevaluate.

edit: Another reason i hate the raise is you have position, use it. Raising negates your positional advtange.