Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 01:26 PM

Default WSOP event pre-registration vs registration

The WSOP site isn't really clear on this so I'm hoping someone can help clarify. There are forms and such for pre-registration to WSOP events, that ends 2 weeks prior to the event. Can one also just stand in line at the Rio the day of an event and register then? Are there specific advantages to pre-registration other than avoiding potentially long lines?

BTW I'm not speaking specifically of the main event, but more about preliminary events.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: WSOP event pre-registration vs registration

Really , the only event you probably need to pre reg is the opening one. because they might sell out all 2200 or so seats.
its very conveinent to pre register. you just have to go to the Rio once and you can pick up all your entries and seat assignments.
on the other hand its not hard to sign up on site either because you can register in advance for events at Rio also (once the world series starts)
Old 06-12-2006, 02:14 PM

I don't think this really answers my question. I'm wondering if I need to pre-register along with wiring a 'deposit' (a minor pain) or just show up and register the day of the event. It's not convenient to drop by the Rio to pre-register as I don't live in LV and won't be arriving until the day prior to the event I want to enter.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really , the only event you probably need to pre reg is the opening one. because they might sell out all 2200 or so seats.
its very conveinent to pre register. you just have to go to the Rio once and you can pick up all your entries and seat assignments.
on the other hand its not hard to sign up on site either because you can register in advance for events at Rio also (once the world series starts)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are they capping each event (except the ME) at 2200?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:05 PM

Just got off the phone with someone at the Rio and they are capping the events. The Ladies event will probably be capped at 1000 and event #17 will probably be capped at a couple thousand. She said they expect event #17 to be sold out by the end of pre-registration which is before the end of this month.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Great info! Guess I better pre-register then as #17 is the one I'm planning on entering. Pretty surprised that it's full, last couple of years the 1.5k and 2k were the full ones. Oh well, with 2k people and the starting amount/blind structure it should be a real crap shoot.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She said they expect event #17 to be sold out by the end of pre-registration which is before the end of this month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad, that's the one I wanted to play but I planned on qualifying via satellites 1-2 days before the event.
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Shadow
Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM

I did ask what would happen if you pre-registered but wanted to play satellites. She said you can sell your satellite chip winnings to someone in line to buy-in to any event. She said it's usually not a problem to find someone willing to buy it from you. So basically you will have to tie up $1000 in order to guarantee your spot.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 PM

I seriously doubt they will cap any of the events. They want the $$$$. Last year they had alternates for the preliminary events entering in with the original starting chips, an hour after the event began. I know, Freddy Deeb sat next to me as an alternate at that time. It is always safer to pre-register, but you still will have a line. Last year, if you did not register, you had to go to one line to register, show ID and all that crap, and then another long line at the cashiers cage to pay. It was really done poorly, because the same cashiers were doing the chips for cash games, cashing out winners, registering people, doing everything but washing your car. If you are only going to play in the events, then, by all means, pre-register. If you are going to be up there for cash games, sats and the like, then wait, 'cause you ain't getting no refund!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:56 PM

my opinion is you should pre register for any NL hold em event with a buy in below 2000 and maybe even the 2500 short handed. why go to vegas and get shut out?

In my opinion you could probably get to the Rio the day before fairly early and you would be fine.

But if its like last year the events will be capped at something like 2200 entries. 20 tables plus alternates.