Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 AM

Default $77s AK on a fun board.

Comments on everything. Villain is unknown. How do you play river?

PartyPoker $77 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t40 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2000)
UTG+1 (t2000)
MP1 (t2000)
MP2 (t2000)
MP3 (t2000)
CO+1 (t2000)
Hero (t2000)
Button (t2000)
SB (t2000)
BB (t2000)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, MP1 calls t40, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t40, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t225</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t185, MP1 calls t185, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>

Flop: (t775) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets t40</font>, MP1 calls t40, Hero calls t40

Turn: (t895) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets t325</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, Hero calls t325

River: (t1545) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets t175</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t850</font>
Old 06-12-2006, 01:31 AM

Default Re: $77s AK on a fun board.

I like it.

Preflop: With three limpers my standard is 240, so no biggy.

Flop: I don't get these guys...no way I fold, but with the texture of this flop I'm not going to try to push anyone of this hand.

Turn: an A is a scary card here, so I'm fine with trying to keep this pot small.

River: ok. without a read it's tough to know what amount you can get this to call.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:12 AM

I wouldn't have done anything different from PF to the turn.

The only thing I question is the size of the raise on the river. If he bet 175 into a pot of 1545 is that indicating that he may call a significant raise? I probably would have raised a little less in order to call.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 AM

I think I would have called on the river.

Since he only bet 175 into a 1545 pot my guess is that he's either afraid or he wants u to reriase so he can reraise u back.

If u raise when he thinks he's beaten he will fold and u won't get any more money from him.

If u raise and he reraises u, my guess is that ur allmost allways behind and ur reraise will cost u more money.

So in both cases ur raise won't do any good.

But ofc there is a chance that he just wants to keep the pot small and just call ur raise, I guess I would have missed those extra chips if he calls, but I don't think it's worth the risk of getting reraised cause that will probably cost u the rest of ur stack.

I would have called, I dunno if that's the right thing to do tho, feel free to flame me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT:

Hmm when I think about it, I guess that betting small and hoping for a reraise is a play that allmost noone uses. So raise is probablt the best thing to do on the river [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2006, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If u raise and he reraises u, my guess is that ur allmost allways behind

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Feel free to flame me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has the nuts. Consider yourself charcoal [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would have called on the river.

Since he only bet 175 into a 1545 pot my guess is that he's either afraid or he wants u to reriase so he can reraise u back.

If u raise when he thinks he's beaten he will fold and u won't get any more money from him.

If u raise and he reraises u, my guess is that ur allmost allways behind and ur reraise will cost u more money.

So in both cases ur raise won't do any good.

But ofc there is a chance that he just wants to keep the pot small and just call ur raise, I guess I would have missed those extra chips if he calls, but I don't think it's worth the risk of getting reraised cause that will probably cost u the rest of ur stack.

I would have called, I dunno if that's the right thing to do tho, feel free to flame me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT:

Hmm when I think about it, I guess that betting small and hoping for a reraise is a play that allmost noone uses. So raise is probablt the best thing to do on the river [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, you do realize that our hero has the absolute nuts on the river, right? Being behind isn't possible and the only thing to think about is how much chips to extract when it isn't a split.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:17 AM

doh!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have done anything different from PF to the turn.

The only thing I question is the size of the raise on the river. If he bet 175 into a pot of 1545 is that indicating that he may call a significant raise? I probably would have raised a little less in order to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I echo these thoughts. That 175 bet is so incredibly weak, and the board is so scary, I might resort to extreme measures to get him to call me. I'd either make a tiny raise, like to 450, to ensure a call, or push in. If he's going to call your 850 raise, he might call all-in anyway. Also, all-in looks more like a desperate ploy to steal a hand gone wrong than an obvious value raise.

I'd probably have gone with a smaller raise, but I don't dislike your raise either.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 AM

I'll call preflop in this spot fairly often, but the raise is standard.

I like flop and turn.

As for the river, he'll call more if you bet less, but then again, you'll win fewer chips when he does call. I'm guessing it's close to a linear relationship and your EV is close to the same regardless of what you bet here.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:37 AM

I would say that you're looking at at AT-AJ. I'd also raise the flop to at least 400. If called, I'm done with the hand, etc. River I'd push to make it look to him like a desperate steal attempt.