Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Default 1/2: QQ 5-way capped preflop--wait till the turn to raise?

UTG is LAG, and MP is LP-P. Even though the flop is not very drawy, I saw this as a situation to wait till the turn knowing that UTG will likely lead out again. I was planning on raising any non A or K turn, with the advantage being getting an extra SB in when a non A or K drops and saving a SB when an A or K drops. When the LP-P raised I just switched to calldown mode.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (18.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 21.75 BB
Old 06-11-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Re: 1/2: QQ 5-way capped preflop--wait till the turn to raise?

Don't wait. You have no reasonable expectation to be able to protect your hand at all on the turn and your equity isn't going to change very often flop-turn.
Your only concern here is value. Raise the flop.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 AM

Raise the flop! Charge drawing hands, and try to protect your hand. This is straight from SSHE. In big pots you want to try and win them immediately. I believe its something like... although raising early can cost you bets later on, not protecting your hand can cost you a whole pot.

Although that probably isn't possible here, its worth a shot. You have every reason to believe that you have the best hand. Even if I think there may be an AA out there Im standing on the raise button until the other players drop out. Then I switch to calldown mode, if I really think I might be beat.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:58 AM

raise the flop dude. charge everyone who is drawing to 5-6 outs vs you, no need to wait. it will also help you greatly to define your hand, and define the hand of others.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 AM

just do the damn thing on the flop....youre not protecting against [censored], so just jam it while it looks pretty
Old 06-12-2006, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't wait. You have no reasonable expectation to be able to protect your hand at all on the turn and your equity isn't going to change very often flop-turn.
Your only concern here is value. Raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 AM

I disagree. Im in if its capped with AK of course. Im MAYBE calling a capped flop around. NO WAY Im calling anything with air on the turn, thinking I might be trapped between two raisers, and maybe no clean outs. Your flop raise (which hopefully goes back and forth with the original better), should help protect your hand if you get bet into on the turn.