Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Teach Me Restealing

That was a great post, Ansky.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 PM

Awesome post, Ansky.

Is there any way to consolidate the threads on restealing and add them to Anthology? It's a very important topic that is missing there.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:52 PM

Thanks Ansky, I've been in kind of the same boat as Brujita, very nice post.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:20 PM

Wow that is a really great post. There are a bunch of really good posts in this thread.

The ironic thing is I am pretty solid at the math part of poker, its probably my strongest suit.

A couple of additional thoughts:

1. at the end of tournaments you need heart as well as fearlessness. A bit of it comes from experience, my hands shook as I first made the final table of a Party super. Now they only shake when a mess up will cost me big figures. That is party due to a bigger bankroll, but partly due to having more experience and just realizing worrying about results rather than process just kills you in the long run. Part of the heart equation though is just internal, its like gatorade says do you have it in you.

2. You need a lot of self belief to become a good poker player to withstand the heartbreak of the game. But you also need imo the ability to say I need to improve this part of my game because its weak. The needed ego sometimes makes it hard to acknowledge where we struggle. It seems to me often we are uncomfortable in the parts of the game that are opposite of our strengths. I like to flat call a lot from the blinds and defend them pretty strongly early, so it is hard for me to transition late.

3. In the final four or so tables I am able to steal almost at will it seems because nobody plays back and people are nervous, the people who get to the end are often the ones who are more aggressive and so it seems you don't get that much chance to practice against the aggression. But the picking the right players thing is huge.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:24 PM

brilliant post. restealing is a great weapon and you describe its conditions very well. cheers.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Very well articulated discussion - while the content is fairly intuitive, Ansky's explanation is clearer and more complete than I could ever make it. One thing I noticed missing is the +++ev of stealing after CO-1 raise, and callers. Here you are getting nearly 3 times the amount of value, and thus the min fold equity requirements plunge and allow for any 2 very often with resteal-sized stacks - upgraded perhaps to 17ish bbs min. to compensate for the 1-2 3bb calls. While the original raiser obviously conforms to the same standards as Ansky described, the callers dish out vastly greater fold equity, as we can eliminate most pairs from the call range. AJ+ and the random mid-pair may call, but the calling range here for a default player is miniscule.

Another thing I notice is many people try a resteal with effective 15bbs by reraising a 3bb raise to like 7bbs and then stopngoing the other 8 or even checkfolding(!!). Unless trying to represent AA, this seems retarded. I almost always just push these types of resteals, as the amount of fold equity added by not tempting the original raiser to call the 4bbs on top exceeds his willingness to lay down a hand to this half-reraise that he wouldnt fold to a push.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:14 PM

ansky,

awesome post. <3.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:25 AM

Thanks for making this my first Favorite Topic thread Ansky!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:21 AM

Add to favs
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Add to favs

[/ QUOTE ]