Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Let\'s face it Poker isn\'t good for Society

This thread pisses me off to no end.

That is my contribution.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:48 PM

The air we breathe isn't good for society. Lets make it illegal.

Really though it doesn't matter if it's gambling, strippers, drugs whatever. People who are degenerates are gonna find a way to ruin their own lives. Why not let this way benefit some of us by making our lives better.

This is harsh thinking but this is a harsh world we live in these days.

Brendan
Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 AM

If playing poker makes the particular individual happy, then I would say it is good for society and the economy. If they like doing it and are good at it, they are going to experience satisfaction and self worth. This is turn will increase the quality of life for those that play and enjoy it, which is a contributing factor the economic model of a healthy and successful society. A happy and satisfied society means reduced crime rates, reduced health care needs, and increased spending into the economy.

Although I doubt online poker is going to solve societies problems, it will have an advantageous effect on those that play and enjoy it.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:07 PM

Spoken like someone who has an economcs background....I agree with your analysis. i happen to have a B.A. in economics, so I may be biased.
R
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 AM

Well from the MBA side, I argue that it is good for society. Anytime we are pumping money into overseas economies. We end up increasing our GNP indirectly. We may be losing billions in unclaimed taxes, but taxes are the least efficient way for the US to make money. The return of US dollars spent at gambling sites, who invest in US markets and have employees who purchase US products probably out weighs or atleast levels out the lost taxes revenues.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3. For now, all the profits are going to foreign companies that contribute little or nothing back to our tax base.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me think, if America as a country, inlcuding all players net profit/loss is a "winning country" then I would argue that poker is in fact GOOD for the economy. Poker players would acutally be hard at work pulling money into our tax base. This would be true of course for any country that had a net profit from all its players.

These numbers would be impossible to find, but America does have the pull of the vegas pros. Either way I think this possibility is real enough to question the truth of your statement.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:02 AM

Well my good man, I too am a lawyer...and I must say with the exception of the few free cases I have taken on (no nonsense....real life people in need of help who could not afford a lawyer)my legal career has contributed very little to society despite the fact that I have gotten paid very well for it...in poker I too have made money and I don't think there are any cryin children out there or any father of four stranded on the street because of it....besides you know as well as I do that as lawyers...we can really screw up a person's life just by doing what we do best!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 AM

OP,

what about the $$$$$$$$$$ donated to charity each year by poker players who wouldn't have otherwise been able to donate if they didn't play?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

what about the $$$$$$$$$$ donated to charity each year by poker players who wouldn't have otherwise been able to donate if they didn't play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Contributing to a bloodsucking charity is not good for Society. The money lost in the tourney used to pay the winners would do the country more economic benefit by being used on goods and services rather than contributing to charities.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:01 AM

Here..Here...brother I feel your pain and relate TOTALLY...you may just as well convinced me to accept my wife's offer to move to CA so that I can purse this full time!!!